Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

NTE5 wiring

This is a discussion on NTE5 wiring within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If you get a filtered face reconnect the blue and white/blue wire to terminals 2 and 5 and the orange ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: NTE5 wiring

If you get a filtered face reconnect the blue and white/blue wire to terminals 2 and 5 and the orange to terminal 3. When you get it get a disposable IDC tool to replace the wires if you don't have one. They only cost pence.

How wireless works in your house depends on the characteristics of the house and how many networks you have in your neighbourhood. You may find it is OK but it may be almost unusable. If the latter is the case then I would recommend you consider Homeplugs - HomePlug AV | Broadbandbuyer.co.uk - many on here use them and find them excellent.

You can use the KANA form, but you must be very specific or they will just cap you further.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by firestarter03 View Post
      The Orange/White and Blue/White wires you can see in the bottom left are what were connected for the extensions (to 2 and 5). The Blue and Orange wires in the top right of the picture are the incoming line connections coming from a grey cable. Can anyone tell me if this is how everything should be wired? Does anyone have any idea what is going on with my stats? Would I benefit from a filtered faceplate even though my router is normally connected to an extension?

Thanks!
      The incoming cable doesn't look like twisted pair? Not ideal. You will benefit from a filtered faceplate even though the router is on an extension IF you also have other extensions? (the only benefit if you haven't is cosmetic).
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

firestarter03 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      The incoming cable doesn't look like twisted pair? Not ideal. You will benefit from a filtered faceplate even though the router is on an extension IF you also have other extensions? (the only benefit if you haven't is cosmetic).
      Is it worth changing it to twisted pair? Is that possible/allowed? I have 3 extensions in total (one that's used for my router and another for the kitchen phone and another that has nothing plugged in). Is it a better idea to get a longer RJ11 cable so I can plug the router into the master rather than wiring it to an extension? It is probably under 10 meters away...

Thanks.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by firestarter03 View Post
      Is it worth changing it to twisted pair? Is that possible/allowed? I have 3 extensions in total (one that's used for my router and another for the kitchen phone and another that has nothing plugged in). Is it a better idea to get a longer RJ11 cable so I can plug the router into the master rather than wiring it to an extension? It is probably under 10 meters away...

Thanks.
      Officially not allowed no, but then nor is fitting an NTE5 directly to BT's wiring & that happens rather a lot i can assure you! For the ADSL extension the ideal is one of these IMO :-

NTE2000 ADSL Extension Kit, 10M

If you need a phone where the router is as well then use CW1308 cable & one of these sockets at the other end :-

BT Socket, Master, ADSL Filtered With RJ45/RJ11

You could get a longer RJ11 cable that the above keeps it all hard wired. The above means you never have an ADSL signal in the same cable as the ring wire, no plug in filters around the house & will be the best you can get from a performance POV.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the help RUNITDIRECT. I don't need a phone where the router is. Here's the wiring and extension situation:
      The master is downstairs by the front door, my dad (who did the wiring over 20 years ago!) said that the BT line comes down from the roof, into a junction box in the front and from there goes to the master
      Extension 1 is in the kitchen with a phone plugged in
      Extension 2 is upstairs and has just the router plugged in
      Extension 3 is upstairs but is not used

So after I have a faceplate, is my best bet to replace extension 2 with a RJ11 faceplate (can I use the existing extension wiring on one?). Or is it better to get the extension kit you posted? Also would I see a huge benefit from updating to twisted pair for the incoming line? I'm not sure if I would want to mess with that wiring to be honest since I wouldn't really know what to do.

Thanks.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Something unexpected happened the other day, my internet went down - I checked the stats and my connection speed is over 9mb now :S That's the best I have ever seen it! It's strange because sky told me that my line was unstable on ADSL2 and kept it at 8mb. So my line has gone from 8mb to 6mb (possibly capped by sky) and now 9mb. Here are the stats now:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 9213 kbps 721 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33 db 19 db
      Noise Margin 12 db 8 db

Could it be something to do with this DLM thing that's going on? I still should be able to get more speed out of my line so I am going to try a faceplate as I said earlier. Can anyone tell me if a RJ11 faceplate is the same/better than a RJ11 extension kit? I need to have my router in another room...

Thanks.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Can anyone tell me if a RJ11 faceplate is the same/better than a RJ11 extension kit? I need to have my router in another room...
      I am not quite sure what you mean, but the following may help.
      If you want to use the extension kit linked to earlier you need to connect it to a filtered faceplate. You can do this by hardwiring it to the A-B terminals on the rear of the faceplate or by plugging it into the ADSL port on the front of the Plate. The other (box) end will give you a dedicated ADSL port which should be almost as good as plugging into the Test socket.

Secondly you can fit a filtered face plate and use a longer RJ11 cable to connect to your router. With a good quality cable it could be up to about 10Ms long with no noticeable degradation.

The third method would be to again fit a filtered faceplate and plug the router directly into it, making the cable as short as possible. From there use an ethernet cable to connect from one of the ports on the router to your PC or a switch if you need to connect more than one device.

The last method would be the tidiest, but unfortunately the most expensive. This would be to again fit a filtered faceplate and connect the router to it with a short cable. Buy a pair of Homeplugs and use these to network to where your PC is. Once again you could run through a switch if you need more than one device connected.

All of these methods would give you similar results.

There is another way which would work, depending on how your extensions are wired. If they are wired individually, you could again fit a filtered faceplate and move the wires leading to your PC room to the A-B terminals of the faceplate. This would convert your existing socket into one capable of ADSL and phone connection. The result would depend on the quality of your existing wiring. If your phone extensions are linked from box to box, this would only work if the extension you want to use is the first one on the line. You would need to fit a filtered faceplate on this extension to supply your other extensions.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12