Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Master Socket/Extension Query

This is a discussion on Master Socket/Extension Query within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I think i know the answer to my question but i would like a second opinion: I have one ...

Speccy 48 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Master Socket/Extension Query

Hi,

I think i know the answer to my question but i would like a second opinion:

I have one extension cabled to my master socket which runs to one of the bedrooms.
      As i don't use this extension & don't intend on using it in the future. Would i be right in saying that if i disconnect the 2 wires for it (2 & 5, have already disconnected the bell wire - 3) that this wouldn't affect the main phone line coming out from the master socket?
      Also if i did disconnect the extension wiring, would it help to eliminate any possible noise interference i might have? As i have my router plugged into an extension which is plugged directly into the front of the master socket.
      The reason i ask about the interference is that i suffer from the dreaded disconnections in the evening (1-2 an evening). My noise margin drops quite significantly in the evening but is fine in the daytime (hovers between 7-8db)

Any help with my questions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Master Socket/Extension Query

Hi Speccy.
      I suspect that you do know the answer, but here we go anyway.
      (1) If you have an extension which you do not use, then dissconect it at the master end (all the connections not just the ring wire). this will prevent any interferance picked up by the wiring from causing problems.

(2) If you still suffer from drop outs in the evening, Then the answer is a filter faceplate, with the router close by, and network cable to PC or mains network device.
      Do not use wireless unless you have to, it's just another layer of things to go wrong/reduce speed.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Brian69 for the reply.

As to having the router next to master socket (filtered master or not), the wife prefers it out of the way under the tv (the router that is). So unfortunately that's not an option for me.
      Can Sky do anything about the noise margin dropping so violently in the evening?
      I presume they may cap my speed to give me more margin to play with in the evenings.
      I tried the suggestion of re-training the router during the noisiest times but it doesn't seem to work too well with the new black DG934G routers.

Thanks in advance.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi.
      Yes if you get Sky involved they will see this as instabilty and cap your speed. It's a pity you have your router close to the T.V, it's not a good idea to have it close to anything electrical if you can help it.
      I do understand W.A.F (wife acceptance factor) but if you could try the router at the test socket (with a filter and just one phone) for an evening, if the results are better you would at least know the problem is at your end.

adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Under the TV is just about the worst possible place to put your router. The TV set and sky box etc creates huge amounts of RF noise. It could be that your loss of signal in the evening is because when people come home from work/school on goes the TV and up goes the noise.
      adslnation

Exchange:
      Thanks

I would agree with you adslnation but i don't get a problem with dropping connections in the day (noise margin is stable between 7-8db).
      Also the tv etc. are on in daytime as well as in the evening.
      Checking the noise margin in the evening, I can see it fluctuating up down anywhere between 0-7db.
      I've always had the router where it is now & hardly ever had connection drops when i was with BT. But it saying that with BT the router only synced @ 576kbps, not the 2368kbps i get with Sky.

I suppose like many people I've seen on these forums you have to take the rough with the smooth.
      It's not like it's dropping every 5-10 mins, just a couple times in the evening.