Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Need help....can anyone explain???

This is a discussion on Need help....can anyone explain??? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, Have not posted in a while. Since having Sky installed haven't had a brilliant service all the time ...

Hopeful is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Need help....can anyone explain???

Hi All,

Have not posted in a while. Since having Sky installed haven't had a brilliant service all the time but no complaints loss of speed and disconnections sometimes (just came to this forum to look for possible solutions).

A few days ago the wirelss on my V1 (white router went) had a new Netgear DG934 sent FOC as its still under warranty.

What's the problem you ask...........well.

I moved my pc from 1st floor to 2nd floor. My master socket is upstairs (2nd floor) in my house. I moved in 4 and a half years ago and it was brand new so we could have the socket where we wanted.
      Later on I had BT fit a faceplate downstairs (ground floor) and my DH ran an extension from this faceplate via RJ11 plug to a BT extension box into a room on the 1st floor and this is where the router was, I was getting speeds of 14m even though it was an extension socket.

Using a 15m extension cable from the master socket to the room where the pc now is my speed has dropped by 3-4meg. Even if I use the test socket.
      Now here's the confusing bit; if I plug this 15m extension cable from the extension box on the 1st floor to the router on the 2nd floor the speed goes back up to 13-14m.
      Can anyone explain why I would get such brilliant speed through internal extension wiring over 30m long and have dismal router stats directly from the master socket via this same 15m cable. I did not plug the router directly into the master socket because I know its not the extension cable as the speed is brilliant when plugged into the extension box on the 1st floor.
      I did call BT they tested 'both' sockets and said both are fine.

Hope someone can make sense of what I am trying to say.

Also is there a quick way of transfering all my old router settings to my new router.

Hopeful...............

2. Advertisement
      eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Need help....can anyone explain???

^^^ I think this is easier to explain than it would seem!

The master socket uses terminal 3 to generate the ringing signal for older type telephones and extensions and is a frequent cause of broadband noise.

Your extension lead plugged into the master socket is connecting to terminal 3 and is therefore acting as a noise aerial! I suspect your extensions have been wired without the terminal 3 connection in the master (as is recommended for broadband) and these are therefore "cleaner" as your extension lead is no longer making contact with terminal 3 in the master socket.

The solution is to hard wire an extension from the faceplate of your master without connecting to terminal 3 - just use 2 & 5 - and your speed should be restored.

Hope this makes sense - Ian
      Last edited by eyemdee; 08-03-08 at 10:12 PM. Reason: addition

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Ian,

What u say kinda makes sense, I'm not a techie I just read a lot. Just need to clarify.

I opened the master socket there are presently no wires attached to terminals 2-5. There are only 2 wires coming from outside the house into the back of the master socket, a white one attached to 'A' and a orange one attached to 'B'.

I am assuming that the terminals 2-5 are for extensions. Are you saying then that I should cut the RJ11 plug off the end of my 15m cable and splay the wires attach to 2 and 5 and then plug the other end into a filter? As I said not a techie, but this is currently my understanding.

Hopeful
      Last edited by Hopeful; 08-03-08 at 11:09 PM.

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

^^^ Yes. Cut the BT plug off the extension lead, remove a little of the outer sheath, then connect the blue & white pair to terminals 2 & 5 on the back of the faceplate using an LJU insertion tool. Blue with white rings goes to 2 and white with blue rings to 5. Coil the orange & green pairs out of the way or cut them off.

EDIT: I am assuming you are using a 15m telephone extension lead. If it is an RJ11 router extension lead then my whole theory is wong!!

Plug your router into the filter into the other end of the extension cable and your speed should be restored.
      Last edited by eyemdee; 08-03-08 at 11:30 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes, it is definately telephone extension lead, where can I get/purchase an LJU insertion tool from?

Is it the same as a IDC insertion/punchdown tool?

If I wire it as you suggest will it carry the BB and telephone signal as I have a fax/copier/printer which is also networked via my router.
      Last edited by Hopeful; 09-03-08 at 12:28 AM. Reason: After thought

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Do not attempt to connect an extension lead to IDC terminals. The wires of the lead are too thin to connect properly.
      The best idea would be to run a fixed extension from the faceplate and the connect a filter at the other end.
      Last edited by Brian69; 09-03-08 at 12:57 AM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

How do I run a fixed extension from the faceplate????

Thanks

It's just the same except you use CW1308 cable and connect to 2 and 5 on the faceplate, to 2 and 5 on an extension socket. You can buy kits to do this which come with full instructions and an insersion tool to do the connections.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

CW1308 ??? Just looked at maplins website, the extension kits do not state what type of cable is used, also there seems to be a RJ11 plug on one end and an extension box for the other end. So it looks like I would have to buy each item separately which would add up.

I would like to do this spending as little as possible I have already spent 20 on cables. Bought '1' 15m network cable and realised to connect to where my router originally was, I would need one for my printer as well as any other device I would want to connect to the router. Which is why I bought the 15m telephone extension cable to connect my router to the master socket, to lessen the amount of cables running all over the house.

Thanks

The cable is just normal telephone wire, maplin have it, I will look on their site and get back.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast