Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What could BT do?

This is a discussion on What could BT do? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have a dirty off-white "GPO" junction box, to which is connected a dirty off-white "T" (Telecom) master socket. Suppose ...

nickw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Christchurch
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

What could BT do?

I have a dirty off-white "GPO" junction box, to which is connected a dirty off-white "T" (Telecom) master socket.

Suppose I was to enhance the original installation by replacing both with a shiny new NTE5, all at no charge to BT

I'm not an idiot, and am perfectly capable of connecting two wires. So on the assumption that I don't **** it up, what is the worst that could happen?

I'm in the process of switching my line rental to Sky, so will not be a BT customer. How does this affect things?

2. Advertisement
      eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: What could BT do?

I can't answer your question really but its a choice of paying BT (Openreach) a call out charge of 99 + VAT plus 52 + VAT to fit one of these to replace "their" property in your house, or doing it yourself in a couple of minutes!
      Last edited by eyemdee; 27-02-08 at 11:24 PM.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Let's take a worst case. You pay line rentail to Sky; makes no differance, Sky just provide you with a line and act as the retailer but BT are the wholesaler and their T&C count.
      So let's suppose you have a line fault and a visit is necessary, the Openreach guy feels stroppy.
      You will get a bill for a master replacement and may lose your line, you will then have to pay to get it back.
      All this would total about 250.

Now lets get back to the real worrld. If you make a good job of fitting the NTE-5 master, and make sure that it is one intended for an exchange line (it will contain the over-volt protection device, check before you buy) then it will be very unlikely ever to go wrong or ever to attract the attention of BT/Openreach.

If you fit a NTE-5 master which is intended for a PBX line (no over-volt protection) or you cause a problem to someone else's line, then Openreach will pursue you for their pound of flesh with the up most vigour.

The choice is yours.
      Last edited by Brian69; 28-02-08 at 12:30 AM.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the info. Sound like it's worth the risk then.

Just one other question before I go ahead: the current drop cable has been fitted through the wooden frame of my front porch, and then through the wooden frame of a window. Due to the rotten state of this wood, I'll be replacing it all with uPVC meaning I have no choice but to take the cable out and re-route it (this is actually what's made me think I might as well upgrade the MS at the same time).

Are BT likely to take sympathy on this - ie. the GPO guy who fitted it about 100 years ago should have known it was a bad idea to route a cable through wooden window frames? And so they'll do it for me FOC?

I think I'm maybe being a bit optimistic.....

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickw View Post
      The words understatement and year spring to mind! I am sure they will be very sympathetic whilst sending their bill for 99 call out + 65 per hour + VAT!

Thanks

It is very unlikely that Openreach would re-route a phone line for free, anymore that an electricity co will shift a meter for free, or the gas co. In fairness to Openreach their charges for doing this are low in comparison. But I would say that would'nt I
      Last edited by Brian69; 28-02-08 at 10:40 PM.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ah nuts!

Ok, I'll do it myself.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Thanks

Hi Nick.
      If you are going to move a cable that has been fixed to a outside area for a long time, just be careful that the insulation does not crack/crumble. The advantage of getting this sort of thing done by Openreach is that if this happens you would get a new drop.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      It is very unlikely that Openreach would re-route a phone line for free, anymore that an electricity co will shift a meter for free, or the gas co. In fairness to Openreach their charges for doing this are low in comparison. But I would say that would'nt I
      Funny you should say that - I had my gas meter moved last year and yes it cost me a fortune! But then that did involve a helluva lot of work, unlike the two small drill holes and 5 minutes with a screwdriver needed to do this!

You make a good point about the insulation though - I'll inspect it closely before I get my screwdriver out.

philip41 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickw View Post
      Thanks for the info. Sound like it's worth the risk then.

Just one other question before I go ahead: the current drop cable has been fitted through the wooden frame of my front porch, and then through the wooden frame of a window. Due to the rotten state of this wood, I'll be replacing it all with uPVC meaning I have no choice but to take the cable out and re-route it (this is actually what's made me think I might as well upgrade the MS at the same time).

Are BT likely to take sympathy on this - ie. the GPO guy who fitted it about 100 years ago should have known it was a bad idea to route a cable through wooden window frames? And so they'll do it for me FOC?

Hi Nick

I am a uPVC window installer, have been for 28 yrs, we come across this hundreds of times, i can only think of one occasion that we had to advise the client to get BT in to move the cable + box.

Most fitters are aware of BT's policy regards to moving the line or box and do there utmost to carefully cut the old timber from around the cables so that it can then all be re routed around the back of the window and not through it.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast