Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What could BT do?

This is a discussion on What could BT do? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone. I'll just fill in a bit of background as to why the GPO and later BT liked to ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: What could BT do?

Hi everyone.
      I'll just fill in a bit of background as to why the GPO and later BT liked to put cables through window/door frames. By far the best way for a cable to enter is through a hole through a wall and straight in to the box. The problem is that when you come to drill the hole, you did not know what other cables you may drill through, cable and pipe tracers were not around then, and if you cut through a cable/pipe, you would be in deep poo.
      When it comes to moving old copper plated steel cable, you have got to be carefull. If you crack the insulation, and damp gets in, then your line will fail after a few months.

2. Advertisement
      nickw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Christchurch
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hmmm... closer look at the cable going in suggests it may well have the potential to crack if it's moved. I think I may have to bite the bullet and accept it as an extra cost in getting my windows done.

Will it still be the same charge to fit the NTE-5 if I get them to re-route the cable?

Are they likely to just give me a new drop without trying to be careful with the old one, given how old it obviously is?

Cheers

Nick

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philip41 View Post
      Most fitters are aware of BT's policy regards to moving the line or box and do there utmost to carefully cut the old timber from around the cables so that it can then all be re routed around the back of the window and not through it.
      Thanks for that. Due to how tight it all is, I don't think even the most careful window fitter would be able to reroute it round the back, I think they'd have to disconnect and drill through the uPVC, which I wouldn't be happy with.

And having now seen the condition of the cable insulation, I think I'm going to have to get BT in as the risk of damage seems too high.

Thanks

Hi Nick.
      If you get openreach to do it have a good think as to where you would like the socket. You will get a new drop wire, it's much easier to replace it than mess about with the old one.
      I know that window fitters are as carefull as they can be, but I oftern wonder how many lines are not running as well as they could because the old drop was disturbed during frame change.
      When they turn up to do this, mention over a coffee that the line has always been a bit crackly after rain, and you may well be supprised how low the bill is!!.
      I suppose that as everyone can now fit their own extension wiring, they object to paying for the network bit to be altered, but you do need to use the right materials when doing external wiring, and I don't really feel the need to defend Openreach's scale of charges.
      Last edited by Brian69; 29-02-08 at 11:30 PM.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Right then, a closer look at the cable (in daylight this time!) shows that my previous concerns were just a bit that had been painted over and the paint was a bit flakey. The actual cable is in tip top condition.

So I've only gone and done it. Apart from the ADSLNation faceplate sticking out a mile (I'll probably flush mount it if I get a chance) it all looks so much neater and tidier than it did before. No more doublers piggy-backing each other!

The important thing though is I am now syncing at 8096 (was 3000-5000 before) and speedtest.net checks are coming in at a healthy 5000-6000 (was 1000-3000 before).

I think you could say I'm a bit happy!

Thanks

Hi Nick.
      Jolly good. Trebles all round at your local.

I was not trying to put you off, but I felt I had to point out the possible pitfalls. I would have hated for you to
      post on here that you had tried it and you were now looking at a buggered cable.

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Result!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12