Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Noisy phone & B/B dropping out

This is a discussion on Noisy phone & B/B dropping out within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Iím hoping somebody can help with a 2 issues I have with my B/B connection: 1. An INTERMITTENT noisy phone ...

terrycb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: rownhams
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Noisy phone & B/B dropping out

Iím hoping somebody can help with a 2 issues I have with my B/B connection:
      1. An INTERMITTENT noisy phone line
      2. The B/B connection dropping out when the phone is used
      Iíve had Sky B/B for a month or so now and very pleased with it but am having serious problems with the following.

I had a noisy phone previously when with BT B/B but it was overcome because I had a phone connection into the back of the BT router which was always quiet (I presume this was a B/B phone connection)
      Now I can go for several days with a clear line and then for no obvious reason the line is so noisy that at times you canít hear the person on the other end of the line.
      Iíve fitted an ADSL Nation XTE 2005 faceplate and for a few days the line seemed clean again but now itís gone back to being noisy BUT it is intermittent.
      Iíve tried connecting the phone straight into the internal socket in the master socket and it is no where near as noisy but occasionally there will be an odd crackle.
      The other issue is that most of the time as soon as I try to use the phone the B/B connection drops out.
      I have just one phone extension connected into the master socket
      If anyone can help with these issues I would ask for any reply to be in basic terms as I am non technical electronically.
      I believe it is a problem with the phone line, because it was there with my old ISP, but I am reluctant to call BT out and get a large bill for nothing. They have checked my line remotely and tell me it is OK. Thanks

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Noisy phone & B/B dropping out

Have you tried plugging phone only into the test socket? If you plug in there and still get intermittant noise then it will need BT out to it. Do not mention ADSL when you call them and tell them its intermittant noise, if possible call them or use the BT website to run a line test when it is occuring. You will only be charged if the fault is found to be with your equipment and not theirs.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes I have tried the phone only into the test socket and then it is much quieter but there can still be an occasional crackle.
      I have just tried something else, with the router switched on the phone was noisy, when I turned the router off the noise disappeared. It may be a coincidence because as I mentioned the noise issue is intermittent.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Could also be a faulty filter if that is happening too. Try changing filter and see if the router noise goes away if not and there is still intermittant noise even with just a telephone plugged into the test socket then its a bt line issue.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I haven't now got a filter on the line because the ADSL Nation XTE 2005 faceplate is supposed to have them built in???