Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BT Master socket replacement?

This is a discussion on BT Master socket replacement? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I seem to have an old style master socket i.e does not have the face plate that is split ...

xblade is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Troon
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

BT Master socket replacement?

Hi

I seem to have an old style master socket i.e does not have the face plate that is split and also which does not seem to have a test socket under the face plate

What I think may be the master socket, does have a ring capacitor (white). Is this the master socket?

Could I replace this with the new XTE2005 master socket or would BT need to do this replacement?

I am a novice and because of my disability would have problems changing this myself

Any advice would be great
      Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: BT Master socket replacement?

If you are registead disabled then BT will replace your socket for free and will also attend to any problems you may have with access to sockets etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      If you are registead disabled then BT will replace your socket for free and will also attend to any problems you may have with access to sockets etc.
      Just phoned Bt faults and explained that I had intermittent crackling on the line (voice) and that I had a friend look at it in order to use the test socket, but that it did not have one

I asked if they would replace it for me?

Also explained that I was disabled and could not get to it myself. He was sympathetic. After talking to his manager, he said that it would only be replaced if it was found to be faulty, otherwise I would be charged

Strangely, he said that according to my records, my master socket did have a test socket. But it is obvious that it does not have one

Any advice

I did try to convince him to help, but I think he did not have a choice

Is it poss

Devil_Spawn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

are you sure you are looking at your master socket?

Thanks

From your call it would seem that there is some miss understanding.
      (1) You cannot replace your master socket yourself and the BT person was correct, it will only be replaced for free it it proves to be faulty.
      (2) If you are registed disabled and have problems with access to your extension sockets or if any are faulty, then BT will replace them even if they are connected via a NTE-5 master. this is free and to receive this you must be in recept of a disability benifit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Devil_Spawn View Post
      are you sure you are looking at your master socket?
      Yep, all 3 were opened and have a blank empty box, but the one that I/we presumed to be the master socket has the capacitors and other wires

Brian69

Yes, I am reg disabled and in receipt of DB
      You also said the following:

"(2) If you are registered disabled and have problems with access to your extension sockets"

Can you confirm if this is correct i.e. do you work for BT or have some information concerning this info?

I did mention this to the engineer in passing during our conversation, but he did not pick up on this

Any advice
      Thanks

Thanks

Hi Xblade.
      Yes I do work for BT and yes it is true.

But note this only applies to extension sockets, not the master. You say that you have a noise problem with your line. so do this.
      (1) ring faults on 151 say that you are disabled and cannot acess the master socket, you have noise on the line and would like an engineer to visit to assertain if the fault is with your wiring or not.
      (2) as you do not have a NET-5 master, then BT are responsible for all your wiring then BT will repair the fault for free.
      (3) do you use your line for Careline wher you carry a pendant and can call for help if you fall? If so you can register your line for priority attention in the event of a fault (this does NOT apply to Broadband).
      Now if in the cause of this repair, the master requires replacement, You will get a NTE-5 fitted, If the fault does not require the replacement of the master, then you won't.
      However I and most of the techs that I know always change them, so ask when the eng is there.

As you are disabled and cannot be expected to reach your master, then BT will come out to you unless they find a fault at the exchange or elsewhere.
      Last edited by Brian69; 11-02-08 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks

Hi Xblade.
      Yes I do work for BT and yes it is true.

But note this only applies to extension sockets, not the master. You say that you have a noise problem with your line. so do this.
      (1) ring faults on 151 say that you are disabled and cannot access the master socket, you have noise on the line and would like an engineer to visit to assertain if the fault is with your wiring or not.
      (2) as you do not have a NET-5 master, then BT are responsible for all your wiring then BT will repair the fault for free.
      (3) do you use your line for Careline wher you carry a pendant and can call for help if you fall? If so you can register your line for priority attention in the event of a fault (this does NOT apply to Broadband).
      Now if in the cause of this repair, the master requires replacement, You will get a NTE-5 fitted, If the fault does not require the replacement of the master, then you won't.
      However I and most of the techs that I know always change them, so ask when the eng is there.

As you are disabled and cannot be expected to reach your master, then BT will come out to you unless they find a fault at the exchange or elsewhere.

Hi Brian69

1. What if they come out and find no fault ie noise on the line. Will they then charge me for call out and replacement of master socket?

2. Are they responsible for extension sockets?

3. I did have care line, but handed it back when our council started charging for the service. This was later stopped, but did not ask for it back as I carried a mobile to fone friends etc if I needed help. Maybe the line still shows that I have/had Careline?

I was scared by the pricing structure they quoted, even though I explained that I was dependent on my line and could not afford the large bill if they found no fault that hey were responsible for

thanks for your advice

Thanks

Hi Xblade.
      (1) If BT find no fault at your end, and as your sockets are connected via an old style master (without a test socket) they will not charge. However if you still wish to have a NTE-5 master fitted , then they may charge, but as I have said I feel you would be unlucky if this should happen. (9 times out of 10 it is just as easy to replace a master if there is any doubt about it's serviceablity)

(2) As things stand yes.

(3) The line may still show that you have careline
      As BT may not have updated their records, but this is just an admin problem.

I have always pushed for BB connections for disabled users to be included in the priority fault scheme, as they are of particular importance to this group of customers, both for contact and working from home, thus giving a measure of independance which the disabled may not otherwise enjoy. However BT do not as yet offer this.
      Last edited by Brian69; 12-02-08 at 07:14 AM.

Thanks

Hi Xblade.
      (1) If BT find no fault at your end, and as your sockets are connected via an old style master (without a test socket) they will not charge. However if you still wish to have a NTE-5 master fitted , then they may charge, but as I have said I feel you would be unlucky if this should happen. (9 times out of 10 it is just as easy to replace a master if there is any doubt about it's serviceablity)

(2) As things stand yes.

(3) The line may still show that you have careline
      As BT may not have updated their records, but this is just an admin problem.

I have always pushed for BB connections for disabled users to be included in the priority fault scheme, as they are of particular importance to this group of customers, both for contact and working from home, thus giving a measure of independance which the disabled may not otherwise enjoy. However BT do not as yet offer this.
      Hi Brian69

Your info is invaluable, although I still feel a little apprehensive about contacting them,incase they charge

I have had an idea though that might help. I have contacted a disability manager within BT - I had spoken to such a person when I brought a converse 300 ie the one that can use a headset and mic, very useful - anyway they they were able to supply this free for disabled folk

Do you think this might be a useful contact to use again for such a thing?

I was wondering if it might help to fast track the replacement of the master socket, by getting it re-sited

What do you think?
      thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast