Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

master socket wire set up...look correct ?

This is a discussion on master socket wire set up...look correct ? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ello again..just popped in to clarify what you said in last post..... "When you get your new master fitted, you ...

worcesterman47 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: charles street 01905 724
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: master socket wire set up...look correct ?

ello again..just popped in to clarify what you said in last post.....

"When you get your new master fitted, you will be able to test your connection from the test socket. This provides a line connection with all your other sockets AND wiring disconnected."

does that mean when i eventually get a new test socket..i have to disconnect all the other wiring first to test from the test socket ? or is the test socket totally seperate & i have no wires to disconnect ? sorry to ask...probably clear as water to you...but just a bit muddier for me cheers again matey

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

the extention wiring will be wired into the back of the faceplate so when its removed you're effectively removing all extentions from your line - leaving a clean point of entry for your outside line. This'll be the best your line will give and, in my case, i fitted an xte-2005 faceplate and got the same figures (i also removed the ringer wire) so my connection is the best it'll be for now...i definately recommend them to anyone

^ if you imagine the master as splitting in 2 where the wiring is then you get my drift...kinda!!
      Last edited by IWasNotTheEnemy; 08-02-08 at 11:45 PM.
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

The NTE5 master socket has a removable faceplate to which all your extension wiring should be connected.

When the faceplate is removed (by undoing 2 screws and unplugging it) you should be left with the "test" socket exposed which should be connected only to the incoming telephone line, disabling your extensions.

EDIT: Sorry, IANTE beat me to it!

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

That's right. But when you fit your filter faceplate this gives you the best of both worlds. ie you get as good a BB connection as you do at the test socket, and you have your extensions connected as well. Remember that with a faceplate filter your BB signal is protected from the effects of your internal wiring.
      Now is the time to decide where you would like your new master to be fitted. If you can have it near a mains socket so that you can have your router close to it, that would be ideal.

I Am Not The Enemy.
      I use the same filter and, as my phones do not require the ring line, I removed the ring capacitor from it. I have to say that it made not the slightest differance to my line performance, but that is not to say it would not for other lines.

I should explain that removing the ring cap is just the same as pulling the wire to 3, but it also removes the ring feed to the phone socket on the filter, and this was important to me.
      Last edited by Brian69; 09-02-08 at 08:06 AM.

worcesterman47 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: charles street 01905 724
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

hi guys..firstly you have no idea how much all your advice is helping me to see things much clearer as to connections etc etc,i did not realise ( or know) i could have the master socket moved...currently it is approx 12ft away (in a straight line) but if i leave it where it currently is i would have to run an adsl cable around the room skirting area..which then makes it a distance of approx 19 to 20 ft in distance...( i do have a cable to do this already) the closest i could possibly get to router would be approx 7ft( due to power socket location)...would the difference between 7ft & 20ft make much of a difference ?( i am getting to the end of my questions nearly thanks yet again.
      Last edited by worcesterman47; 09-02-08 at 10:42 AM.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Hi Worcester.
      When Openreach arrive they should ask if you would like the master in a differant location before they start running the new line. When doing this sort of job I have always found that it pays to discuss this sort of thing first, normaly over a coffee (hint!).
      You should try and keep the connection from the filter to the router as short as possible, consistant with domestic considerations. But 7 to 20 feet of good cable is fine.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

personally id prefer to run longer ethernet as opposed to dsl cable but choice is urs at the end of the day...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12