Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Master sockets etc

This is a discussion on Master sockets etc within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am new here and this forum is filled with good info, so here is my two penn'th. To get ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Master sockets etc

I am new here and this forum is filled with good info, so here is my two penn'th.
      To get the very best out of your BB connection.
      (1) Get a filter faceplate. There is not much differance between the performance of any of them so the choice is yours.
      (2) Put your router as close to the master socket as you can and connect to the faceplate filter with the shortest twisted pair cable you can get. The ones that come with routers are pretty poor, so replace it with a good one. I made my own with an RJ45 on one end an a RJ11 on the other. Faceplate filters all have RJ45 sockets for the router and the proper plug is a much better fit.
      (3) Connect to computer by cable or mains network device. Wireless is a pain so do not use it unless you have to. If you don't need it, disable it in the router.

Now What if you do not have a NT5E master. You could call in BT to replace it, but unless this is required as part of fault repair, they don't have to for free, however I always do, and so do most, so you would be unlucky to get charged.
      You can buy one yourself and change it. I have come across hundreads like this and as long as it contains the overvolt GDT or diode, then I turn a blind eye. (you can buy ones that are intended for pbx lines and do not contain overvolt protection) Overvolt protection is there as a last ditch protection for us, there is nothing like working in a nice wet hole and grabing a line pair with the mains on it!!.
      I hope all this helps, remember a coffee and biscuit and being honest with what you may have done to the line goes a long way to getting no bill.

2. Advertisement
      blondejon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Exeter Castle Street
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Master sockets etc

how much to relocate the ms, mine for example, is inthe hall way nowhere near a power supply and quite frankly it would be dangerous to put the router there as its a small flat and you would literally fall over it when you walked ni the door

Thanks

Hi Blondejon.
      If you ask Openreach it's about 160. But there is more than one way to skin a cat. How old is it? is it surface or sunk in the wall?. I have seen them smacked with a vacuum cleaner and the circuit board inside gets cracked, and the line unusable. As I say once you get the Openreach guy there all things are possible.

blondejon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Exeter Castle Street
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

the building is 3 years old and its wall mounted not flush......where did i put the vacuum......

balloon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Now What if you do not have a NT5E master. You could call in BT to replace it, but unless this is required as part of fault repair, they don't have to for free, however I always do, and so do most, so you would be unlucky to get charged.
      How do you convince BT to do this for free? I've tried but they always tell me I need to pay 160 or so for it to be changed. There used to be two lines into my property (see my other post) and when they removed one of the lines it disrupted the other - so they had to change things over and remove unneeded extensions etc. what they didn't do was change the socket to a master socket. I'm not sure if this is something they had to do but do you think I can request them to change it?

Thanks

Hi Balloon.
      As I said Openreach do not have to replace the master unless it is required to fix a fault. This has lead to confusion because a modern one is always fitted to new lines, or rather new fit lines. If you ask Openreach to change the master on a line WHICH IS SERVICEABLE!! then the cost is 160. but if they have to replace a master in the course of fault rectification, then you get a new one for free.

balloon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok thanks Brian, I should have asked them to change it when they fixed a fault on my line last time... damn, oh well.

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      You can buy one yourself and change it. I have come across hundreads like this and as long as it contains the overvolt GDT or diode, then I turn a blind eye.
      I presume these ones are OK then?

Thanks for your sound advice.

Thanks

Eyemdee.
      That would be fine, the filter it refers to is in the ring line it provides about 70db isolation at ADSL frequencys, the same as a faceplate filter provides on the ring line.

Speccy 48 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Hi,

I think i know the answer to my question but i would like a second opinion:

I have one extension cabled to my master socket which runs to one of the bedrooms.
      As i don't use this extension & don't intend on using it in the future. Would i be right in saying that if i disconnect the 2 wires for it (2 & 5, have already disconnected the bell wire - 3) that this wouldn't affect the main phone line coming out from the master socket?
      Also if i did disconnect the extension wiring, would it help to eliminate any possible noise interference i might have? As i have my router plugged into an extension which is plugged directly into the front of the master socket.
      The reason i ask about the interference is that i suffer from the dreaded disconnections in the evening (1-2 an evening). My noise margin drops quite significantly in the evening but is fine in the daytime (hovers between 7-8db)

Any help with my questions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.