Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

High Speed RJ11, will it reduce noise?

This is a discussion on High Speed RJ11, will it reduce noise? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I currently have a noise problem which is resulting in a slow speed connection. If I plug directly in ...

jgwy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

High Speed RJ11, will it reduce noise?

Hi,

I currently have a noise problem which is resulting in a slow speed connection. If I plug directly in to the master socket there is no issue, however I do not have a power socket in a convienient place to allow me to permanently leave the router plugged in there (the little people grab everything!) and therefore run a 10m telephone extension cable.

If I get a 10m high speed rj11 modem cable (one of the belkin things I was thinking Belkin : High Speed Internet Modem Cable - 7.6 M (25 feet) ) to go straight from the main socket to the router, will that help improve the issue with the noise?

Thanks and apologies if this has been covered millions of times before.

Jonny

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: High Speed RJ11, will it reduce noise?

not really, anything extended from the supplied dsl cable will have an effect on connection. you ideally need to get a power supply near the master...there are those here theat say a dedicated dsl extention are worth while but not IMO
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

As IANTE says, running any form of extension to the router isn't advisable.

However, personally I've seen people run RJ11s of 10m with little degradation. The important thing is how it is fitted. No tight bends, keep away from any power cable and fix securely to wall etc using clips that don't crush the cable. I don't believe it is worth spending a great deal on a supposed "high speed" RJ11. As long as it is good quality a standard cable will be fine and they only cost a few pounds. For that cost I'd have thought it worth trying.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

For anyone that is interested, I have now replaced the telephone socket with a flaceplate that has both the telephone and adsl socket on (maplins), run a 10m adsl modem cable (maplins standard not high speed) to another part of the house and it works a treat. Much better noise margin (gone from around 4.5 to about 8.4) and super stable connection.

Let's not talk about the hot water pipe I drilled through to try and get the cable through the wall and the emergency plumber that I had to call out and that didn't leave until 22:45 last night. Now safely tacked around the skirting!

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi jgwy.
      He He That takes me back to the days of GPO Telephones when I was an apprentice. It was my turn to do the drilling so off I went and I throught it was a thick wall. I had drilled from the inside, through the wall and a cast iron drain pipe!!.

skycaptain is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kingsland Green
      Broadband ISP: o2 Premium
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

my router is connected to 15-20 meters of pound shop extension cord. my noise margins are:
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails High Speed RJ11, will it reduce noise?-noise-margin.jpg  

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

my line attenuation is 39db

audioslim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Failsworth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

All this talk of 'dont run extensions' is a complete load of twoddle.

A single extension from your master socket to your router, doesnt really affect the signal providing it's a basic twisted pair cable (which it should be).
      At the end of the day ,the cable inside your extension is highly likely to be of better quality that your actual telephone cable. For a kick off it's shielded (of sorts, eg twisted pairs are used for shiedling).

My 10m extension makes absolutley no difference in line quality providing the cable isnt compromised any (I shot a staple through my old one, that did make a difference).

If you have an extension ring in the house (eg lots of extensions, all from the inside your master socket) then that is often where problems come to life due to how they are wired, in particular if the extensions have been in for a long time)

Slim

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by audioslim View Post
      All this talk of 'dont run extensions' is a complete load of twoddle.
      Most sweeping generalisations contain more than a grain of truth.

Whilst I'd agree that a properly fitted decent quality cable will generally be quite satisfactory, problems can and do occur with interference. Any wire is capable of acting as an aerial and telephone wire is particularly good at picking up stray rf. It just so happens that the frequencies used in what is often called the am radio band are particularly problematical for ADSL. This is in part why most people will see an increase in their noise (decrease in noise margin) in the evenings - it's all to do with atmospheric effects.

Then there's the problem of induced noise from other devices and power cables. Again, if you have an extension wire then this has to increase the possibility of such effects.

Lastly, and this is definitely a problem with using a catch-all phrase like "extension", many people who use such things happily also plug in line splitters/doublers etc. These are generally very poor quality (fine for voice) and add a great deal to the problem.

Whilst if you have a reasonable quality extension, properly fitted and routed with no extra bits attatched, and especially if you have a low attenuation line so have a high noise margin, then things may be fine. However, after more than a year helping on this forum I must have seen a few hundred cases where an extension has proven to be the problem. Occasionally people post pictures too of their wiring and just one look tells you all you need to know.

So are extensions OK? Well, they can be - it's just that they rarely are.

skycaptain is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kingsland Green
      Broadband ISP: o2 Premium
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

high speed cables that eliminate signal integrity issues, is that just a sales pitch?

how do they differ in design that allows them to prevent the level of degradation sufferred by cables of the pound shop variety?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast