Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection to Sky problem

This is a discussion on Connection to Sky problem within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I have had problems with my connection to Sky. I am new to this so would appreciate it if ...

drunior is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Farnworth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connection to Sky problem

Hi,

I have had problems with my connection to Sky. I am new to this so would appreciate it if someone could help me (I am not very technically minded).

I can only connect to the internet when I make an outside call. My connection and the router light goes off when the call is terminated.

I tried the router in the test socket last night and the router connected immediately, however when i try the router in any other extension including the main socket on the test box the light will not come on until i make a call and stay on the line.

I have contacted BT this morning. They want 199 to fix the problem and Sky arn't interested at all. Can anyone help? does it sound like a wiring problem in the test socket and if so can anyone tell me how it should be connected?

Or should I pay to get someone to come and look for me.

Many thanks

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Connection to Sky problem

Faulty extension on the line, BT will charge you for this if you call them in. Test socket is seperate from anything else on the line and when the faceplate is off the test socket is the only thing touching the BT line. This issue is with the wiring from the socket to the extensions.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Faulty extension on the line
      Could be - or a faulty/missing filter.

@drunior

Phone wiring is very simple and straightforward so it shouldn't be necessary to pay someone to fix this for you.

First off describe how you connect your router i.e. when you tried a connection to the master socket and got the problem, how did you connect the router to the master? And do you have a filter on every phone and your digibox? If you have check that they are connected properly. For example, a common problem is people plugging a filter into the master then plugging an extension into that and eventually plugging a phone and router into that - doesn't work.

As PaulSky says, the fact all is fine when you use the test socket shows the fault to be somewhere in your home wiring - that includes all extension cables, filters (including missing filters), line doublers, phones, digibox etc. What you need to do is isolate what is causing the problem and fix it.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks both, it seems the problem is as suspected!

Its finding where the problem is thats the issue. Any suggestions? what should i look for in the test box/extension?

Thanks again

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

1st question is, is anything else plugged into the telephone line on one of the extensions? If there is anything else on the line then make sure it connects via a filter. If nothing is on the line except the router and telephone connected to the filter on the main socket then it is more likely to be an issue on an extension and that will be more problematic to track down.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have got sky + downstairs connected to a filter and sky multi- room upstairs connected to a filter alongside the router. Nothing else connected. I have tried the router in all other sockets and i am unable to get a connection - it does work in the test socket with front panel removed!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

then its definately a wiring issue so dont bother calling Sky as it's nothing to do with them...i'd start with just filter with router then add the Sky+ splitter and see if it still works then gradually get to a point where it stops...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket