Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Try your master socket for better results

This is a discussion on Try your master socket for better results within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by crazylegs1977 mmmm thats interesting... I thought the line had been capped, so called sky a while back ...

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Try your master socket for better results

Quote Originally Posted by crazylegs1977 View Post
      mmmm thats interesting... I thought the line had been capped, so called sky a while back (after the misus had nagged me bout slow speeds). They weere adament that they hadn't capped me! - although they did say that my download speed would increase if I plugged the router into the master socket... which led me to this forum.... I'll do as you say and get my setup right then call again.
      This is a possibility. Sometimes you are uncapped at the exchange and it's the setup holding you down. If your stats don't improve at your master socket then you are definitely capped.

I think you might be right bout the extensions as I now remember having to connect them to the master socket. The builders had run the internal wires but not connected them... What I can't remember is whether I connected 3 seperate groups of wires (ie 1 for each extension or just one) I do know that I did not have to remove any of the faceplates of the entension boxes, it was only disconnected at the master socket end.... The fact that I didn't do anything to the extension sockets would suggest that they are linked right?
      Not necessarily, this only suggests that the extensions were wired up fine at the their end. The only way to find out if they are linked together is to open up your master socket and see how many pairs of wires are connected to the faceplate terminals. If there is just 1 then all the extensions are linked together. If there is more then 1 you should start disconnecting them one by one till you find out which one leads to your router.

A third scenario could be you having two circuits of multiple extensions where two of your voice extensions share one pair and your router shares another pair with your remaining voice socket or one circuit for all the extensions downstairs and one for all the extensions upstairs.

2. Advertisement
      crazylegs1977 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bedminster - Bristol
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      Not necessarily, this only suggests that the extensions were wired up fine at the their end. The only way to find out if they are linked together is to open up your master socket and see how many pairs of wires are connected to the faceplate terminals. If there is just 1 then all the extensions are linked together. If there is more then 1 you should start disconnecting them one by one till you find out which one leads to your router.
      Hi thanks for your help with this.

I have just looked inside the master socket and there is only 1 set of wires... so it looks like all the extensions are linked together. Is it worth me having a look inside one of the extensions to see they have 2 sets of wires and then find out which set goes to the router and disconnect the voice part for this extension only?

I fear that I may have to put the router downstairs...... I have yet to check the connection directly in the master socket as the missus has forbid me until she has submitted some uni course work!

Further to this I have now removed the extension socket in the main bedroom and there are 2 pairs of wires connected (ie 2 of each wire going into each terminal). It looks like the builders have in effect daisy changed the extensions to each other. - very messy indeed! If this theory is correct, can i isolate the router extension to data only by disconnecting the uneeded voice wires?

I hope I haven't confused you and will try and post some picks of wiring for both the master and extension sockets.
      Last edited by crazylegs1977; 25-05-11 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Additional Info

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It looks like the builders have in effect daisy changed the extensions to each other. - very messy indeed! If this theory is correct, can i isolate the router extension to data only by disconnecting the uneeded voice wires?
      This is the correct way to wire a modern phone system. The 'spider' method is not recommended. If the extension in your bedroom is the one you want to use for your router and is the first one after the master socket, the best solution would be to fit one of these to it. XTF-68/85 - Pre-filtered Telephone Socket - ADSL Nation

This would filter the socket and any others down the line. If you use the master socket, you would need to use a filter on it or change it to one with a filtered faceplate.

If the bedroom one is not first on the chain from the master, it becomes a bit more complicated.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      This is the correct way to wire a modern phone system. The 'spider' method is not recommended. If the extension in your bedroom is the one you want to use for your router and is the first one after the master socket, the best solution would be to fit one of these to it. XTF-68/85 - Pre-filtered Telephone Socket - ADSL Nation

This would filter the socket and any others down the line. If you use the master socket, you would need to use a filter on it or change it to one with a filtered faceplate.

If the bedroom one is not first on the chain from the master, it becomes a bit more complicated.
      Damn, the bedroom one is not the first on the chain (that would be the front room one.) Don't aak me why BT put the master socket by the front door and not in the front room The flow of the sockets (and current set-up configuration is as follows:

Master (NTE5) located by the front door (this has nothing plugged into it)

Extension socket 1: Front room (Sky +HD Box and base unti for cordless phone pluged in via Sky suppled micro filter)

Extension 2: Main Bedroom (Sky + Box plugged in via sky supplied micro filter)

Extension 3: 2nd Bedroom (This is where the router is located and plugged in via sky supplied micro filter).

NB extension 2 & 3 may be the other way round on the chain (I have no way of telling as I didn't do the initial wiring, but surely the front room one would be the first on the chain?)

My PC's are in 2nd bedroom and I really don't want to (and possibly can't as it's rented accomodation) run ethernet from master socket downstairs to both PC's upstairs Nor do I want to connect them wirelessly.....

When you say it gets complicated is there ANY to achieve my goal of keeping the router in the 2nd bedroom and achieve the desired speed increase as 1meg is pants! lol

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

My PC's are in 2nd bedroom and I really don't want to (and possibly can't as it's rented accomodation) run ethernet from master socket downstairs to both PC's upstairs Nor do I want to connect them wirelessly.....

When you say it gets complicated is there ANY to achieve my goal of keeping the router in the 2nd bedroom and achieve the desired speed increase as 1meg is pants! lol
      A pair of HomePlugs would certainly do the trick.

A pair of these cost from around 35 and go up to 150. aim to get a pair with a pass-through socket and that support up to 100 or 200mbps.

In the bedroom, a simple 5-Port switch will provide the network ports. These cost from 4.

If you happen to have an old router lying around, you can see the guide for adding a 2nd router and save the 4.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

OK. Before you do anything else, call Sky and tell them you are now plugged into your master socket and would like your speed increased. (a little white lie does no harm) Depending on the result we will see how you should proceed. I am fairly sure they should be able to up your speed substantially. When you are on to them, make sure they also up your upload speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      A pair of HomePlugs would certainly do the trick.

A pair of these cost from around 35 and go up to 150. aim to get a pair with a pass-through socket and that support up to 100 or 200mbps.

In the bedroom, a simple 5-Port switch will provide the network ports. These cost from 4.

If you happen to have an old router lying around, you can see the guide for adding a 2nd router and save the 4.
      Hi I already use a homeplugs to connect my sky HD Box to the router for anytime+ These are only 85mbs models as I am happy with that speed for asnytime+ If I add 1 200mbs to the link it will only transmit @ 85mbs and I don't wanna go to the expense of uprating my exisiting homeplugs too costly so see this as a last resort fix

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      OK. Before you do anything else, call Sky and tell them you are now plugged into your master socket and would like your speed increased. (a little white lie does no harm) Depending on the result we will see how you should proceed. I am fairly sure they should be able to up your speed substantially. When you are on to them, make sure they also up your upload speed.
      I called them a while ago and got some muppet who said I wasn't being capped, I will test the router in the master socket and if the speed doesn't increase I'll call them then as it will show i'm deff being capped.

RE: Extension chains:
      I have now removed the extension in the front room which has only one set of wires. As a result I now am pretty sure my chain goes:

Master ------------Main bedroom............2nd bedroom..........front room

house is timber framed and only 3 yrs old so would be easy for them to run the cables through the stud walls. Also the master socket only has one set of cables running from it... main bedroom has 2 as I think does the 2nd bedroom (although cannot cnfirm this as desk are in front of the socket).

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Hi I already use a homeplugs to connect my sky HD Box to the router for anytime+ These are only 85mbs models as I am happy with that speed for asnytime+ If I add 1 200mbs to the link it will only transmit @ 85mbs and I don't wanna go to the expense of uprating my exisiting homeplugs too costly so see this as a last resort fix
      In this case a 3rd HomePlug is all that is needed. This can happily be paired to the other two.

Some places do sell single HomePlugs, rather than a pair. You may well be able to get one that is the same or similar to what you have already.

Check the manual for the pair that you have (you may need to search on-line for the full manual) to see how simple this is. Others on this forum have previously commented that they have different brands talking to each other quite happily.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

I will test the router in the master socket and if the speed doesn't increase I'll call them then as it will show i'm deff being capped.
      Just reboot your router where it is, if it does not sync at a higher speed, you are capped, period. I am afraid some of Sky Help are really thick. You have a very high noise margin and it does not matter where it is plugged in, if it were not capped, it should convert to more speed.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast