Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Try your master socket for better results

This is a discussion on Try your master socket for better results within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Managed to get it to work. These are the results: From the extension: ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 1536 ...

omskie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Try your master socket for better results

Managed to get it to work. These are the results:

From the extension:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1536 kbps 493 kbps
      Line Attenuation 56.0 db 33.6 db
      Noise Margin 12.7 db 11.5 db

From the test socket:

Connection Speed 1536 kbps 542 kbps
      Line Attenuation 55.5 db 33.1 db
      Noise Margin 18.8 db 10.0 db

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Connection Speed 1536 kbps 542 kbps
      Line Attenuation 55.5 db 33.1 db
      Noise Margin 18.8 db 10.0 db
      The bolder type shows you have quite a lot of margin to spare, probably enough to give you another 3+Mb. Leave it there and call Sky ask them to reconfigure your line as you have made line improvements. As a permanent solution you should buy, fit and use a filtered faceplate. XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate - ADSL Nation

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

omskie (31-01-11)

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

As Tom says you will need to leave the router in the test socket for this to work. If you need to go back to the extension socket then you need to look at the extension wiring as there must be an issue with that to have such a high variation in nm.
      I think I can see orange ring wires in your photo which may be causing the issue and can be removed with modern phones not needing them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dholdi For This Useful Post:

omskie (31-01-11)

omskie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Wow. Thanks for the replies!
      So all I need to do is leave it in the test socket and call sky? Will it not be automatically recognized by sky that my line can manage a faster connection?
      I also experience intermittent connection for my wi-fi, will this be able to help?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It may be recognised as improved, but this is not the experience on the forum. Better call Sky.

The internet connection and the WiFi are 2 different functions, improving one will not improve the other except that there will be more speed available with a higher internet speed. Try changing the channel on the router, it is probably set to Auto, which is not always the best. Channel 13 is usually good, but you can do it properly by using Inssider from the link below.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

crazylegs1977 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bedminster - Bristol
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Yep. Wire the extension for the router as unfiltered and everything else as filtered.

The benefits of fitting a new extension just for the router are to avoid any possible interference from other devices on that part of the line plus you can ensure that a brand new piece of cable has no kinks, frays, hasn't been crushed, new insulation etc. The best thing would be to try the existing cable. If it gives a result near as good as connecting directly to the (filtered) master socket then that's fine.

Digiboxes are notorious for adding noise to the line that cheap microfilters struggle to prevent. Varies by box though.
      OK Newbie here - reading through this forum has enlightened me. I am not a techno phone and am pretty sure i know how to wire up my XTE-2005 (when I get it), but just wanna make sure I aint missed anything....

Here's my current (pittiful) Connection stats:

Connection Speed 1024 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 49.0 db 19.1 db
      Noise Margin 24.3 db 17.8 db

and my set up is as follows:

My Master Socket is downstairs (right by front door). Router & PC's upstairs in spare bedroom and are hardwired to the router. I have no equipment - or filter plugged into this socket.

I have 3 extensions (already in when I moved in), 1 with phone & Sky HD box plugged in. Another in main bedroom which has sky+ Box connected to it, but no phone as it's cordless . The 3rd extension is in the 2nd bedroom which has just the sky router plugged in. All extensions have microfilters supplied by Sky).

Am I correct in thinking that I need to wire the Sky HD & Sky+ extensions as filtered and the router one as unfiltered when istalling the new faceplate? Once done, would I need to use any microfilters in the new setup - if so on what extensions?

Also, I am thinking of getting an all-in one printer with fax. Can this be used on the unfiltered extention?

I know you have answered similar questions before, so thanks in advance for your help.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crazylegs1977 View Post
      Am I correct in thinking that I need to wire the Sky HD & Sky+ extensions as filtered and the router one as unfiltered when istalling the new faceplate? Once done, would I need to use any microfilters in the new setup - if so on what extensions?

Also, I am thinking of getting an all-in one printer with fax. Can this be used on the unfiltered extention?

I know you have answered similar questions before, so thanks in advance for your help.
      Once you get your filtered faceplate your ADSL signal will be filtered out at your master socket and you should keep your router here. You will then connect your extensions on terminal 2 and 5 of the filtered faceplate and these will be used for your voice connections meaning you will be able to run telephones, Sky+ boxes and faxes off this. You will no longer require micro-filters on your extensions as everything will be filtered at the master socket.

If you don't intend to move your router downstairs you will only benefit from a filtered faceplate if all your extensions have individual connections at the master socket. If they are linked together there will be no point in introducing a filtered faceplate in your setup unless you move the router to the master socket. If you have individual wiring for the extension your router is on you will connect these to A and B on your filtered faceplate and your voice extensions to 2 and 5.

Yh you will need a micro filter at this extension though.

Router & PC's upstairs in spare bedroom and are hardwired to the router. I have no equipment - or filter plugged into this socket.
      If you mean you have no micro filter on the extension your router is connected to then this is wrong. You need a micro filter there.
      Last edited by Exdee; 24-05-11 at 12:48 AM.

Thanks

Hi Exdee

Thanks for all the help!

I hope my extensions are wired individually, I don't really want to put the router downstairs and run cat5 cavle to the PC's (altho I could extend my homeplug which I use for anytime+ It's on 85MBs though! I think I'll have a look behind the faceplate of the master socket to check how extensions are wired as house is new build and they were already in when I moved in

Sorry I do have a micro-filter where I have the router plugged in.... I meant I don't currently have anything plugged into the master socket.... Alll my equipment (boxes and router) are plugged into the extension sockets which all have filters on.

Sorry forgot to ask: do my router stats seem right to you? my connection is VERY slow and on the Sky homepage when I click connection details is says my download speed is 0.5 meg
      Last edited by crazylegs1977; 24-05-11 at 02:16 AM. Reason: additional info

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

I hope my extensions are wired individually, I don't really want to put the router downstairs and run cat5 cavle to the PC's (altho I could extend my homeplug which I use for anytime+ It's on 85MBs though! I think I'll have a look behind the faceplate of the master socket to check how extensions are wired as house is new build and they were already in when I moved in
      Cool. Not to upset you but newer builds usually have extensions linked to each other rather then being individually connected to the master socket. Hope this is not your case though. Running a CAT5 to your pc upstairs would be ideal but I can see how this could be a cosmetic issue. Homeplugs are a good substitute.

Sorry forgot to ask: do my router stats seem right to you? my connection is VERY slow and on the Sky homepage when I click connection details is says my download speed is 0.5 meg
      Your line is capped at a very low speed (1meg) which is most likely due to problems occurring with the ADSL signal going through to all your extensions at the moment. However it is capable of 6-7megs and a phone call to Sky will sort this out. It would be best if you wait for your faceplate to arrive, get your setup right and then have your line uncapped once and for all.

Once sky uncap you, feel free to post your stats again and we will be able to tell whether it's worth staying on ADSL2+ or if you should ask sky to move you to G.DMT (deemed better for longer lines).

Thanks

Your line is capped at a very low speed (1meg) which is most likely due to problems occurring with the ADSL signal going through to all your extensions at the moment. However it is capable of 6-7megs and a phone call to Sky will sort this out. It would be best if you wait for your faceplate to arrive, get your setup right and then have your line uncapped once and for all.

Once sky uncap you, feel free to post your stats again and we will be able to tell whether it's worth staying on ADSL2+ or if you should ask sky to move you to G.DMT (deemed better for longer lines).[/QUOTE]

mmmm thats interesting... I thought the line had been capped, so called sky a while back (after the misus had nagged me bout slow speeds). They weere adament that they hadn't capped me! - although they did say that my download speed would increase if I plugged the router into the master socket... which led me to this forum.... I'll do as you say and get my setup right then call again.

I think you might be right bout the extensions as I now remember having to connect them to the master socket. The builders had run the internal wires but not connected them... What I can't remember is whether I connected 3 seperate groups of wires (ie 1 for each extension or just one) I do know that I did not have to remove any of the faceplates of the entension boxes, it was only disconnected at the master socket end.... The fact that I didn't do anything to the extension sockets would suggest that they are linked right?

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast