Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Try your master socket for better results

This is a discussion on Try your master socket for better results within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok folks here's a scrambled egg for you. After much praise and backslapping on the early pages of this thread ...

scooter.125 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carrickfergus
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Try your master socket for better results

Ok folks here's a scrambled egg for you.

After much praise and backslapping on the early pages of this thread and I couldn't be A'd to read through all the thread pages I need an answer please on try your master socket for better results.

I have been battling SKY for the best part of a year on my speed and got through to a SVBN team manager who asked me to use the test socket to check my speed as he thought my ADSL nation XTE2005 filtered face plate was a problem.

I did so and this is where I need some clarity when I connect to the test socket my speed drops to around 800Kbps from 1344Kbps why would that be the case

This manager told me that I should be getting nearer the 2000Kbps mark on SKY base up to 2Meg package @ the test socket; when I told him what I was getting 800Kbps using a SKY dongle filter he told me that was normal .

Therefore in theory my face plate acts as an amplifier allowing me better speed I also get the same results when using the ADSL XF-1e professional filtered dongle in the test socket and master socket and it's not a shabby item either so is it an amp as well .

All test carried out without telephone conversation was via mobile @ the time SNR was 7.4 and attenuation is 63.5Db with and without faceplate / SKY dongle. I only have one socket in the house the master with test in behind obviously.

if you need any other info let me know.

Cheers and thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Two reasons why you might get a poorer result from the Test socket than the ADSL faceplate.
      1. The filters supplied by Sky are of a fairly low quality.
      2. The plug was not making proper contact with the Test socket.

You have a very long line. 63.5dbs is the maximum the router will read, it is possible your actual attenuation is nearer 70 dbs. I doubt if you will get any more than the 1300kbps you get with the faceplate.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

scooter.125 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carrickfergus
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sorry for not getting back earlier folks and thanks for any replies.

I contacted SKY about my telephone line because it was getting hard to hear callers and vice-versa.
      SKY done a line test which was ok however they sent out a BT engineer who tested the line connections in the street and that improved the reception on the phone however about 8pm that night when I went to make a call the static on the line was so bad I couldn't hear the dialling tone.
      SKY sent out a BT engineer next day and he changed the line from the junction box to the house (was Blue and White now Orange and White) and hey presto:-

2560Kbps, line att 63.5dB, 7.6dB noise
      608 Kbps, line att 31.5dB, 8.0dB noise

However when I connect to the test socket it still drops quite a bit using either a SKY microfilter or ADSL Nation XF1E therefore is it correct to assume my line is still not correct?

The latest BT engineer has told me that the filtered face plate does act as an amplifier to take out imperfections in the signal due to copper cabling but he agrees that it doesn't work that well.

SKY have now told me that my line is capable of 2800Kbps yet the best I have seen in the test socket is 1800kbps and verified by BT engineer.

Surely now when I connect to the test socket I should see 2800Kbps or so.

Before and after complaining about telephone screen dumps included.

Any more advice is appreciated. Cheers
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Try your master socket for better results-call-svbn-team-set-adsl-adsl-141109-1148-skyrout.jpg   Try your master socket for better results-21-07-10-cable-changed-exchange-green-sub-exch-what-should-have-been-.jpg  

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

However when I connect to the test socket it still drops quite a bit using either a SKY microfilter or ADSL Nation XF1E therefore is it correct to assume my line is still not correct?
      I think it is more likely you are not getting a proper connection in the Test socket. The change in line pairs has improved your line quite a bit. With your high attenuation you are doing very well getting 2.5Mb with a nice noise margin.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

salvation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

This in fact only indicates that you have a problem with your internal wiring of extensions. If you also have a sky tv box which is required to be permantly plugged in you could also be giving yourself other problems.

omskie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Hello! I've tried connecting through the master socket but it always shows "your internet connection is not available right now, please try again later". It works on all the other sockets but not on the master socket and the test socket.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

So it works in an extension socket ?
      That would suggest that what you think is the master is possibly an old one that has been replaced. It should definetely work in the test socket.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I've tried it in the test socket as well. Removed the plate and inserted it in the test socket but still it says "not available this time, try again later". I even tried connecting my phone to test if it's working and it does have a dial tone. Yes, it works on the extension socket upstairs.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

And you are plugging it into the test socket using a filter ?
      If yes then there is something amiss with the wiring of the test/master socket.
      Can you post a pic of the test socket with the front removed ?

Exchange:
      Thanks

That's the picture of the socket.
      The other 2 extension sockets works it's just this one that shows the "Unavailable this time".

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast