Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Try your master socket for better results

This is a discussion on Try your master socket for better results within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; No, thats a filter faceplate and will be fine....

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Try your master socket for better results

No, thats a filter faceplate and will be fine.

2. Advertisement
      Zook is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MK
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102 (Black One)
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      No, thats a filter faceplate and will be fine.
      Thats a relief Thank you Brian69 for your fast reply

PaulUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Billericay
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Dear all looking for advice…..

Having just found SkyUsers and read about some of the great improvements to internet connections can be made I was motivated to climb into my loft (in my pyjamas) to look for my Master Socket and perform a test to see what my wiring was doing to my ADSL signal. However, after finding where the cable entered my loft and crawling around to follow it under insulation not to mention moving about 50 boxes I found this….

Try your master socket for better results-loft-horrors.jpg

Although I am new to this I could see it was not an NTE5 with a test socket.

Explaining the set up as best I can:

• The black lead going into the left side of the black junction is from the outside of the house.

• The black cable that comes from the right I followed down out of the loft through an airing cupboard and then under the floor boards towards what is our lounge. However I have no phone sockets in the Lounge?

• The small white cable that comes out of the right side goes down to my hall (see below). I have been using the extension cable to the left (which SKY put in to connect the sky box) to plug into a modem about 20 feet away. I was getting a very poor connection with this download speed about 690kbps (I haven got the full details).

Try your master socket for better results-hallway.jpg

Having upgraded to Max and received a new router I changed the set up so the router was wired into the socket above and then wireless to the computer in the lounge. Testing this I could get max 1300kbps download both on the main computer and the laptop upstairs.

Our needs are these:

Internet Access:
      • To the lounge wired or wireless for main computer
      • To the lounge wireless for our daughters room upstairs
      • To my XBOX 360 in the lounge wired preferably (as I begrudge buying £40 wireless adapter)

Phone Access:
      • Line as it is to the Hall for main phone
      • Line for Sky box in the lounge (or I will get told off by Sky)

From what I have learnt from these great forums I firstly I should replace my black junction box with an NTE5 socket with an ADSL faceplate wire in my existing phone line for the main phone and SKY Box…..From there I am a bit confused as what I should do next. What is the best option for reliability weighed against a balance of cost and performance?

I think the possible options are after fitting the NTE5 (with ADSL faceplate) and existing phone line:

• Connect router up in the loft space and then using two long ADSL cables to hard wire the down stairs computer and Xbox. Leave the wireless on for the laptop so it can be used anywhere in the house.

Or

• Place the router in the lounge and with one lead from the loft (20 metres) the router with shorter leads the main computer and Xbox, keep wireless going for the laptop

Sorry this was so long or if it is in the wrong place.

I appreciate any help you can give…

Regards

Paul

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

OK, i'm doing 10 things at once here so may have missed something but i do not think fitting the NTE5 in the loft makes things easy for you? The cable that goes from that junction in the loft should only be using one pair. You have the following choice :-

Leave junction in loft as is & replace old socket downstairs with an NTE5, fit a faceplate to this, you can then plug a modem/router in there and a telephone. You can also run both filtered telephone and an ADSL extension off there if you wish.

OR

Replace junction in loft with an NTE5, as above you can then run filtered or ADSL extensions off here.

Which ever is easiest will give the same result.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Exchange:
      Thanks

By the way, you wouldn't use two long "ADSL cables", you would use Ethernet cables, only one ADSL device(router/modem) can connect to the service at any time, all other devices run either wirelessly from the router or via Ethernet(CAT5e).

PaulUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Billericay
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply,

I was thinking it better to put the master in the loft because it will be closes to where the phone line comes into the house which is apparently good from other posts. My other concern is that the white wire looks very thin and poor quality which makes me think the strength of the signal the other end will not be too good.

Regards

Paul

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulUK View Post
      Thanks for the reply,

I was thinking it better to put the master in the loft because it will be closes to where the phone line comes into the house which is apparently good from other posts. My other concern is that the white wire looks very thin and poor quality which makes me think the strength of the signal the other end will not be too good.

Regards

Paul
      Closer to the entry point is best however 10-20m of good quality cable is not going to make any difference to your stats. If the exisitng cable is of questionable quality then i would replace it, you still have a choice of the NTE5 location though.

Josh122 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01254
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Hey all, I'm new here and I came across this thread so I thought I'd give it a go.
      Well before I removed the faceplate I was getting 8670kbps down and 766kbos up, I tried the master socket and I was getting 9104kbps down and 798kbps up (These are according to sky router page). I just put my faceplate back on and now I'm on 10142kbps down and 800kbps up, I'm not sure what has happened but I got an increase in the end!

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

What happened is that you connected to a socket which is receiving a cleaner signal and so the speed can go up. Filtered faceplates are by far the best way to connect the router to the incomming line.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I just put my faceplate back on and now I'm on 10142kbps down and 800kbps up, I'm not sure what has happened but I got an increase in the end!
      It is difficult to say what happened without seeing before and after stats. You may find that your speed drops back. The interference caused by extensions is not always constant, it can vary from time to time.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast