Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Try your master socket for better results

This is a discussion on Try your master socket for better results within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by 666arc2 Don't really want to use the Sky router as my existing one has a print server ...

apples is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Penketh
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Try your master socket for better results

Quote Originally Posted by 666arc2 View Post

Don't really want to use the Sky router as my existing one has a print server built in (Safecom SWAMRU-54108) and the guy at Sky said it was perfectly acceptable for me to use my own router - they will post out mu username and password.

Thanks for any help

Andy
      Andy,

what number did yuo contact Sky on for them to agree sending out those details?

2. Advertisement
      Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Just ordered mine from here - should be here tuesday :-)

ADSL Nation - XTE-2005 - Filtered Master Faceplate
      I'm going to order one of these too along with an RJ11 cable. The trouble is I don't have one of the modern NTE5 master sockets it's an old L2J/1A without the test socket. I was thinking of fitting a secondary NTE5 alongside it or having it replaced by BT. So I thought I'd better phone them for a quote.

I just got off the phone to BT, spent ages waiting to get put through to the service dept and they quoted me 116 to get an engineer out and apparently 99 for any equipment that needs replacing if I heard her right. Eep.

But this is whats interesting - she said I could get my own electrician in to fit one myself. Thats right, a non BT engineer. I asked her if he needed to be certified or something, and she said no, I could just get it done myself. Wow. Now, what to do? Should I replace it myself or just fit a secondary socket? She said that if anything went wrong I'd have to pay to get a BT engineer out to fix it at the aforementioned rates. Eep.

Thats what she told me anyhow. I did state it was the Master socket I wanted replacing so I was as surprised as you are. Unless she got her wires crossed so to speak?

stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
      I'm going to order one of these too along with an RJ11 cable. The trouble is I don't have one of the modern NTE5 master sockets it's an old L2J/1A without the test socket. I was thinking of fitting a secondary NTE5 alongside it or having it replaced by BT. So I thought I'd better phone them for a quote.

I just got off the phone to BT, spent ages waiting to get put through to the service dept and they quoted me 116 to get an engineer out and apparently 99 for any equipment that needs replacing if I heard her right. Eep.

But this is whats interesting - she said I could get my own electrician in to fit one myself. Thats right, a non BT engineer. I asked her if he needed to be certified or something, and she said no, I could just get it done myself. Wow. Now, what to do? Should I replace it myself or just fit a secondary socket? She said that if anything went wrong I'd have to pay to get a BT engineer out to fix it at the aforementioned rates. Eep.

Thats what she told me anyhow. I did state it was the Master socket I wanted replacing so I was as surprised as you are. Unless she got her wires crossed so to speak?
      I would say go to ebay and get yourself a proper BT NTE5 and a shallow back box for it (if it does not already come with one). Then just replace your existing one. It is very simple to do. This page can be very useful for the colour codes etc.:

Guide to rewiring internal UK phone wiring

justhattx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok im gonna try testing my master socket tomorrow, cant actually get to it right now so i thought i ask a question before i do.

Also so you all know how my phone line is set up here is how it is:

i have my master socket downstairs which runs upstairs to a socket in one room, and then runs into another socket into my computer room, which connects into my router. Hope you understood that.

Do i have to put my adsl plug or the wire from my router into the master socket?

Thank you in advance

GedNE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by justhattx View Post
      Do i have to put my adsl plug or the wire from my router into the master socket?
      Thank you in advance
      From what I have read, no... read here:

Although I am asking a very similiar question which may in turn help you too..

Just recieved my XTE-2005 faceplate and have a few questions.

My present setup:
      I have an extension of approx 8-9 metres (if that actually..) from my main telephone BT box. This extension was fitted by a telephone engineer and hard wired inside (or underneath the faceplate) to my bedroom. The bedroom end has a standard double BT socket (one for my phone, the other for PC).

The cabling used has 6 wires and is a thick cased cable (i remember paying for the best he had..)

yellow - red - black - white - green - blue

White is connected to 5 and white connected to 2 in the extension box. No other wires connected. He left the "loop wire" unconnected. (the engineer explained why - can't remember though..)

Just to clarify something..After reading this:

I understand from what I have read, I can leave my extension "as is" in my bedroom and the other end downstairs, I just hardwire up to the new XTE-2005, placing the blue wire to "B" and white wire to "A"..

Is that correct.. ?? (I could you try and see, but saving time here!)

If I am wrong and I can't just do this.. then what is the best set up for a more solid connection from the options below:

(1) Router attached downstairs and connect via wireless to my PC in bedroom.
      (2) Router attached to main BT box connected to my bedroom via a long Ethernet cable (10 metre cable)
      (3) Router in bedroom but connected via a long RJ11 ADSL Modem Cable (10 metre cable) to the main box downstairs

Any advice appreciated..
      Ged

JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GedNE View Post
      - - - -
      I understand from what I have read, I can leave my extension "as is" in my bedroom and the other end downstairs, I just hardwire up to the new XTE-2005, placing the blue wire to "B" and white wire to "A"..

Is that correct.. ?? (I could you try and see, but saving time here!)

If I am wrong and I can't just do this.. then what is the best set up for a more solid connection from the options below:

(1) Router attached downstairs and connect via wireless to my PC in bedroom.
      (2) Router attached to main BT box connected to my bedroom via a long Ethernet cable (10 metre cable)
      (3) Router in bedroom but connected via a long RJ11 ADSL Modem Cable (10 metre cable) to the main box downstairs

Any advice appreciated..
      Ged
      Ged,
      Fit the XTE-2005 faceplate definitely.

Any wiring carrying ADSL signal from the XTE-2005 faceplate to a distant point (bedroom) should be CAT5/Ethernet/twisted pair type. If the expensive cable you had fitted is of that type, you are home and dry. If it's just six core conventional cable, you may have to rewire for ADSL.

If your existing extension is conventional telephone cable, it is suitable for a phone only. To provide a filtered phone extension, connect the wires to terminals 2 and 5 on the faceplate instead of 2 and 5 on the master socket. The other wires (ring, etc) can be left unconnected.

Of your options, I suggest:

1. Wireless is slower than hard wired, but if the signal at the pc is 'excellent' it might be worth doing to save rewiring. Keep RJ11 connection from router to faceplate very short.

2. This is fine provided you go from router to the pc in CAT5/ethernet/twisted pair cable. Keep the RJ11 cable between faceplate and router very short.

3. The connection between the faceplate and the distant modem must be in CAT5/ethernet/twisted pair cable. This is attached to A/B on the faceplate. This in effect is an extension of the BT line into your bedroom. Personally, I think this is the best way to do it, 'cos you can see the modem.

I hope the gurus will add a comment to confirm I've got everything right.

JaX

GedNE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your advice Jay.. actually i opted to use option 3. Although I am still investigatating some noise errors, works great!

Cheers.
      Ged

Mr Kennedy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just reading through some posts and am wondering what you do with the master socket?

I've taken mine off and there is no plug behind it, it looks like a a normal telephone box. So is there no way to check without buying this new socket?

Rogue_Trooper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Crewe
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have done this with the master socket. I removed the master socket face plate and plugged thge microfilter into the test socket. My connection speed has not altered. Also, my connection has dropped from 4.5meg to 2.0meg in the course of one day, hence why i gave this a whirl. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Mr Kennedy,
      Sounds like you have one of the old pre-NTE master sockets. You can't test your system with this unless you disconnect any phone extensions connected to it. It's the internal phone wiring which slows down the ADSL speed through radio interference. With no internal phone wiring attached, you have got the BT drop cable to yourself and connecting your modem to the socket (using a filter as an adapter) should tell you how fast the line will run with the NTE-2005/XTE-2005 gizmo fitted. The essential wires FROM OUTSIDE are connected to terminals 2 and 5 in the box. You should disconnect all the others to do your test. In fact you can leave any other OUTSIDE wires disconnected permanently
      JaX
      PS: Messing with the BT master socket input wiring is of course illegal, but you can disconnect your internal wiring as you please. What you do is up to you.
      Last edited by JaXanim; 11-06-07 at 11:17 PM.

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast