Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Try your master socket for better results

This is a discussion on Try your master socket for better results within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Saturday You won't get the full benefit but you could fit a filtered faceplate to the master ...

brianc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEBDT
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Try your master socket for better results

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      You won't get the full benefit but you could fit a filtered faceplate to the master socket and connect the extension to the unfiltered terminals. Then plug a microfilter in the other end for the Sky box and router.

Ideally you'd run a new extension cable and dedicate it to the router. However, even if you can't, I'm sure you would be pleased with the difference a filtered faceplate would make.
      So what I should do this.....
      Wire the downstairs extension as filtered to reduce the "ariel" effect and wire the upstairs as unfiltered for the modem and Sky box.
      Am I right it thinking that I wouldnt need microfilters on the downstairs extension ?
      Only a microfilter on the upstairs extension ?

I am confused by the new extension idea as that would still have to be unflitered for the ASDL connection.
      Are you saying it is the act of plugging a phone (Sky box) into the modem line that also causes a problem ???

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Yep. Wire the extension for the router as unfiltered and everything else as filtered.

The benefits of fitting a new extension just for the router are to avoid any possible interference from other devices on that part of the line plus you can ensure that a brand new piece of cable has no kinks, frays, hasn't been crushed, new insulation etc. The best thing would be to try the existing cable. If it gives a result near as good as connecting directly to the (filtered) master socket then that's fine.

Digiboxes are notorious for adding noise to the line that cheap microfilters struggle to prevent. Varies by box though.

brianc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEBDT
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Thanks Saturday for your help

I have ordered a filtered face plate and if Im thinking correctly I will wire the downstairs extension up "filtered" hopefully stopping it acting like an ariel and putting extra noise on the line.

I have a good quality filter upstairs so hopefully I should be OK.

I will let you know of any difference.

UPDATE

Installed the filtered face plate and isolated the downstairs extension.

Before fitting upstairs speed was 2.2Mbs
      After fitting speed increase to 6.5Mbs.

Not 16Mbs but well chuffed compared to what I had (1Mbs with BTBroadband for 24.99 / month)
      Last edited by brianc; 23-01-07 at 01:10 PM.

NewThing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well i kinda thought I would ask for a little impartial/unbiased advice......

I cant remember saying I couldnt be bothered?? If I couldnt be bothered I probably would have just ordered the faceplate.... Anyway...

Back to Topic.

I may have worded "extension" wrong!..... The response I received ecouraged me to try and simplify my thought....

The extension in question, is not an extension as such, but the approx 3" long wire you are supplied with the microfilter to enable you to plug a microfilter into a phone socket... Maybee a sketch will be benificial if its that hard to explain..

Quote....>>>> "a master socket with all extensions, ring wires etc disconnected will give you the same results as the test socket." EXACTLY

Quote....>>>> "if you do that, then plug an extension into the stripped down master socket you immediately add noise which may affect your connection speed." NO EXTENSIONS

Gunna give it a go over w/end anyway... not like anything to loose eh! LOL Which kinda reminds me why I posted in the 1st place!!

Jelly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ilkeston
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Aww I tried this the other night and it connected just over 400Kb faster than the extension. I don't have a power socket where the extension is so I can't even plug it in there anyway.

Kinda sucks as I connect at 5-6Mb even though I'm about a Km from the Exchange .

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

That does suck.. Im 2.4km and get 8mb on G.DMT, once faceplate or re-route sorted gunna complain about my adsl2+ is ?! LOL Not that I need to tell them !

sassylady is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWKLAN
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

We had to renew all our wiring to the extension for the router, change splitters for sky and also the filter in the hall, then tried changing cables rsj and ethernet, and then different filters and stats changed to

Connection Speed 13615 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 27.5 db 15.2 db
      Noise Margin 7.2 db 12.0 db

Download 11491 as per DSL zone

Previous speeds Sky Broadband
      Sky Broadband 16384 5412
      Sky Broadband 16384 5440
      Sky Broadband 16384 3883

The laptop in the upstairs is a slower connection so we took advice from this lovely forum and got a very long ethernet cable under stairs carpet and bingo! It is a lot of trial and error and very frustrating

After all the work it was the wiring and one dodgy filter. (Actually the faceplate made no difference so we didn't bother)
      Rosie
      12591 kb/s Download 579 kb/s upload

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

YEESSSSS!! The jobs a good one!

Just thought I would let anybody interested know it worked exactly as I hoped.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8096 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 42.0 db 25.0 db
      Noise Margin 9.2 db 14.0 db

Now I Just need to get onto Sky and compain about being in D.GMT mode and hopefull I should get 10 - 12mb

Jimmy4eyes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131 Musselburgh
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I was up for trying this but something went wrong because I couldn't get a connection.
      I unscrewed the front plate and gently pulled it out, revealing the hidden socket, the same type I would plug my phone into. The cable they gave me has smaller plugs on each end than a regular phone plug so I plugged one end into the router and put a microfilter on the other end and plugged that into the test socket, then hooked the network cable from the router to my computer, and the power cable to the router obviously.

The system tray icon said it was looking for a connection but couldn't find one, so I just hooked everything back the way I had it.

I obviously made some kind of error and I wondered if anyone could shed some light on it for me.

Jelly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ilkeston
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

D.GMT mode? Daytime GMT?

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast