Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Question re cabling

This is a discussion on Question re cabling within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Happy New Year all. Hope you can help. I have an old style BT master socket (No test socket). I ...

Elbow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question re cabling

Happy New Year all.

Hope you can help. I have an old style BT master socket (No test socket). I have removed the bell wires and now only have terminals 2 & 5 connected. Thing is there are two wires in each terminal. I am assuming that one is for an extension cable that used to be in the house upstairs but was chopped a few years ago.

Would this be correct? Is it possible that this could contribute to noise on my line.

My attenuation is 15db and SNR is 7db. I have tested this with the router plugged directly into the master (no extension) and with no other lines attached (phone, sky etc) My Sky max connects at 11mb with an average speed of about 9.5mb. With my attenuation I had hoped for a higher connection speed. I have called Sky twice to remove caps - they originally had me capped at 8mb, then moved it up to 12mb and now have put it up to 14mb. The gentleman (Level 3 - Customer Service Team?) I spoke to said that he would not put it up any further and that my line was fixed at 11mb. BT say my line will only handle speeds of 2mb!

I am about 150 meters from my exchange as the crow flies. (I can see it from my back window)

Is this the best I can expect. I am very happy with the service from Sky but have now got it into my head that I can get better speeds. I hope someone can help me before it takes over my life...!!!

BTW did I wish you all Happy New Year....

Cheers for the help.

2. Advertisement
      eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Question re cabling

^^^ If you can identify which pair of wires come from outside and which went to the extension it would do no harm to cut or remove the redundant pair. If the old wire was just cut, it is possible that the line wires are touching others which would not be too healthy!

Have you tried the quiet line test? On a standard phone with nothing else plugged in, dial 17070 then option 2 to listen for any crackling or interference on the line.

Elbow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Question re cabling

Thank you eyemdee

I did not know that. I will give it a go......just need to get a normal phone from somewhere!