Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky+ 2,3,4&5 connected?

This is a discussion on Sky+ 2,3,4&5 connected? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I've just had sky+ installed, not a sky customer before (just moved everything from Virgin, when the installer was ...

smeagol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Caversham
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky+ 2,3,4&5 connected?

Hi,

I've just had sky+ installed, not a sky customer before (just moved everything from Virgin, when the installer was setting up the phone connection he asked if I was going to have ADSL as if so then I would need all 4 wires connected in the extention cable. Is this true?

The reason I ask is that I am waiting for Sky broadband max to be set up. I've ordered an xte2005 faceplate, the router is going to be plugged straight into this socket. As the phone is some distance from the BT master socket so I am going to run a cable, just connecting pins 2 & 5, from the master socket to the phone location. At the new extention box I was planning to hard wire the SKY+ phone cable into the new extention, just for the sake of neatness. So the question is can I get away with only connecting 2 & 5 on the SKY+ phone cable?

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ 2,3,4&5 connected?

As you will be running your extensions from the filtered pins on your faceplate it will make little difference whether you wire all 4 or just the two wires. All you actually need is two, i.e. pins 2 and 5.

smeagol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Caversham
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for confirming what I thought.

Is there any reason the installers have been told to connect all 4 wires? I can't understand why the ringer line is needed if using sky broadband, unless sky have told them to connect it to ensure that the line quality is degraded and use it as a form of restrictionhttp://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif

adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The ring wire IS required to make some phones ring and makes little to no difference to the ADSL signal when connected to filtered terminals on the faceplate.
      adslnation