Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cannot increase Sync rate above 8mb

This is a discussion on Cannot increase Sync rate above 8mb within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Got connected yesterday to Sky Max but every time I sync the router I cannot get past 8mb speeds. Presently ...

dmurray0 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Antrim
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cannot increase Sync rate above 8mb

Got connected yesterday to Sky Max but every time I sync the router I cannot get past 8mb speeds. Presently my stats are:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8032 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 28.0 db 14.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.9 db 13.0 db

Those stats are with the following connection. ADSL XTE faceplate going into the master socket, the adsl line going into the sagem router, and my sky tv adapter in the phone socket of the faceplate with the phone plugged into it. Inside the master socket there are no wires connected to the XTE faceplate.

Trying master socket last night bypassing the XTe produced these stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 8032 kbps 768 kbps
      Noise Margin 7.8 db 13.0 db

...almost identical. Is there anything else I cando to increase my noise margin? Thanks in advance.

Edit
      Just had a thought and not sure its relevent. Inside the master socket are a few coloured wires (colours escape me at present) that are not connected to the XTE faceplate. They were never connected when with my old ISP and have left them unconnected when migrating. Would these wires be important or causing the problem. Can post pics later on to show them if necessary.
      Last edited by dmurray0; 07-12-07 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Update

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Cannot increase Sync rate above 8mb

With your attenuation you should be able to sync much higher than that - if capped on G.DMT (which you are) then your noise margin should be much higher.

Something is introducing noise into your line.

Usually this originates in the home but your ADSL faceplate should handle that fine. So, this leaves a few options:
      • your faceplate is faulty (not likely but possible)
      • it's incorrectly fitted (e.g. extensions must be hard wired to it)
      • the interference is of a type that the faceplate can't help with (e.g. the router is next to a high energy/noise source
      • the router or router cable is faulty (possible)
      • the noise is pre the faceplate i.e. somewhere on your line between you and the exchange (the most probable in the circumstance)

As a starting point, just connect the router with a microfilter and the supplied router cable (or even better, another new one) to the test socket (the one inside the socket - the faceplate pushes into it to make the connection). Don't connect anything else. What has the noise margin changed to?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Saturday,

Thanks for the reply. Stats are below.

Master Socket
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 8096 kbps 768 kbps
      Noise Margin 8.1 db 14.0 db

Face Plate
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 8096 kbps 768 kbps
      Noise Margin 8.0 db 14.0 db

Both look almost identical. Phoned Sky but they didn't have all my details as they say I was not due to be activated until today, so I have to wait a few days. Any idea what next?

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

By "Master socket" you mean Test socket? If so then that would indicate that the problem probably lies with your BT wiring.

However, as you're in the process of being connected I'd leave it a couple of days in case it's some artefact of the provisioning (can't think what that would be but who knows?).

If in a couple of days you still have the problem then your first port of call is BT to see if there's a line fault. Don't mention ADSL - they will only respond if you say you have noisy voice calls. If there is a BT line problem which gets resolved then once fixed call Sky and get through to CST (old T3) and see if they'll put you on ADSL2+ (which your attenuation will support, provided your line is relatively noise free).

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Saturday,

Yes, I meant test socket instead of master socket. Thanks for the advice.Will wait and see what happens then report back.Cheers again.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well I phoned Sky this afternoon to see what they had to say. After getting cut off twice ( I think on purpose) I spoke to a guy who said my line attenuation would only get me 8mb speeds. I told him umpteen times that I should be able to get at least 12mb, possibly the full 16mb if/when the noise gets better.He only seemed to get it when I said that as I was still in my 8 day cooling off period I would consider leaving unless they looked at it agin. He eventually promised the call would be monitored and passed on to his supervisor for further action.
      I've also tried BT but due to some problem with their website I can't get the line checked at present. Will have to wait for a day or two to see what happens.

Since yesterday, I've ran countless tests involving test sockets, no extension leads (router and cordless phone share a double adapter into the mains) ran stats during the day, night etc but results almost identical every time. Anybody any further tips on getting my noise margin increased?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Just to repeat James' question in the other thread, do you have working extensions in your house? I ask, as there is a recent case on the forum where the extensions had been illegally hardwired to the back of the socket. Correcting the wiring resulted in a large speed increase.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Isitme,

Cheers for the reply.There are no other extensions in the house at all. I have the master socket and nothing else. Not sure what to do next!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Not much you can do if you have no other extensions and already have an ADSL faceplate. Give it 2 or 3 days to settle down, then see how things are. With the luck of the Irish you will probably be pushing 16Mb by the end of next week

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Why does the checker then show that I could get a far higher speed and people say I could sync at almost 16mb with those stats but Sky only give me 8MB? Really don't understand the difference of speeds!!! Hope the luck of the Irish does turn good!! Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast