Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Anything else I can do?

This is a discussion on Anything else I can do? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm on a pretty long line (probably around 4km if not a little longer), and I've already got a ADSL ...

WelshBluebird is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWTDU
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Anything else I can do?

I'm on a pretty long line (probably around 4km if not a little longer), and I've already got a ADSL filtered faceplate fitted on the master socket, with my router plugged into that.

Currently my ST 585 is showing:
      Sync Speed 2,868Kbps
      Attenuation 57.0db
      SNR margin 15.5db

Anything I can do to improve the stats? (read below for an explanation on why the SNR is so high for a rate adaptive service, and also why I can't use DMT)

Also, connected with my question (but slightly wandering):

When I was first put onto maxDSL (didn't ask to) by AOL, it was in the middle of a period with bad weather. And the fact that I was using a USB modem, and I didn't have the faceplate filter didn't help either. Because of that, during the training period, my SNR margin was all over the place, meaning BTw's systems put me on a 15db SNR margin profile.

Since getting the faceplate, and buying a router (ST 585), its been pretty much fine. Only problems I've had was to do with earlier firmwares loosing SNR margin over a few days. But that's stopped now with the newer firmware's (but they have broken compatibility with DMT). Now on the newest available firmware, and its been solid as a rock. Only a couple of disconnections, and with the SNR nearly always staying above 13db.

As I understand it, if your router is left synced with no issues for a certain period of time, the systems should decrease your SNR margin. But that hasn't worked for me (and from what I've read, has failed to work for a lot of others).

So I'm now left with a line that should be able to run at a faster speed, but currently, because of BT's stupid system, cannot.

AFAIK, SKY LLU don't use the the rubbish BT wholesale systems, so am I right in thinking, that as long as my line stays stable, I should get a target SNR of around 6/7db?

Also, I'm assuming Sky don't use the silly IP profile thing BT use. So if I sync at 3Mbps, I should be able to have download speeds of around that. Am I right in that.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Anything else I can do?

IP Profile (as you've said) is the ADSLMax thingy used in BT's services (and Sky Connect)

the Base/Mid/Max service is meant to be rate adaptive but isn't really working properly but the profile that are rolled are 2Mbps (Base), 8Mbps (Mid) and 16Mbps (Max)

now, the router will train up at the fastest it can with a 7ish SNR - however, as the rate adaptiveness isn't working properly it can still drop off so Sky 'cap' the line to fix an SNR to keep the line stable.

With that attenuation though, you won't get a lot more than you are at present - and certainly wouldn't benefit from ADSL2+ so id recommend going onto the Mid service (unless you want a higher upload/'unlimited' downloads)
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

WelshBluebird is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWTDU
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks.

Yea - I realise I won't get much more. Hoping for around around 3.5Mbps if possible. But even 3Mbps would be nice (since currently, cos of the IP profile thing I'm nearly always stuck on a 2Mbps profile).

So really, the only thing I can do to get a faster speed is to move closer to the exchange lol.

Would like the faster upload and "unlimited" (with FUP) downloads, which is why I'm looking at max. Even if I can't use the faster download speed it offers over mid, its still a tenner a month less than where I'm at now.

I'm gonna have a look at the connections in the master socket later (the connections from the faceplate to the master socket), just too see if I can tidy anything up. Unlikely to make a difference, but it'll be useful to have that neat anyway.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

you should be ok for around 3-4Mbps (possibly more) if you get all the wiring your end sorted out before hand but yeah - IP profiles are useless!!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket