Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Improving my wiring - pictures of my master socket and Junction box..

This is a discussion on Improving my wiring - pictures of my master socket and Junction box.. within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; when/if they ring back they may say there is no problem on your line, i would say you agree at ...

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Improving my wiring - pictures of my master socket and Junction box..

when/if they ring back they may say there is no problem on your line, i would say you agree at the moment but during the last xxx days/months some days the line is clear and other you are getting the noise/crackle/hiss with no specific times just seems to be random (but getting worse)

2. Advertisement
      The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

Bottom line.

Get BT to install a master socket and then change the face plate for a filtered one from Adsl Nation.

Job done.

Regards.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

lee2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

yes if you complain to bt that SOMETIMES you can hear crackling etc on your line but its not there all the time, tell them the lasttime you spoke to bt, they told you to test from the master socket to see if it cured the problem, tell them you have found out that you do not have a master socket so you are unable to test the line, bt should then arrange for a enginerr to come to your house, tell him the same, he should then at least replace your bt socket to a master socket.

I did this 2 weeks ago, when the enginer came out, he ended up replacing my full line to the telegraph poll, he left the junction box in place, used the existing wire to where my bt socket is now, he removed the socket and fitted it with a master socket - for no cost whatsoever.

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

Go for it M8
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

jonathanen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Colindale
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub SR203 / 4.2
      Sky TV: Q 2TB & 4xMinis
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Monday View Post
      Correct thats the only phone socket i have in the house, the house was made in 1939 so my guess is the phone system is pretty old?
      I think that I'm in the same situation as you. I have old fashion non-NTE5 LJU2/2A PABX BT Master IDC socket too, after I have both measured my non-NTE5 BT socket and find out on the Internet. At the moment, its set up exactly the same as Final ADSL Plan. After I have finished researching on the Internet, I just find out about this BT Line Test using 17070, then option 2, which I didn't know all this time until now. I read it and follow it, removing all the extensions, plus the Commtel Phone guard as well, and only plug in my Binatone Speakerphone 510SMS corded phone into my BT master socket to do the test.

I dialled the 17070 number, then option 2, before the phone call was connected, I heard "hum" or "buzz" noise, as if sounded like electronic interference. And then, while I was listening for the Quiet Line Test, I keep hearing small pops continuously like a heart beat.

Is this normal? or do I have a noisy line?

Also, every time, when I make a call using one of the phone cards, and while the call is connected, its goes like this all the time... produce a "hum" sound, then the call went through by says "Please enter your PIN number" - the PIN from the phone card and the same goes all the time when I'm making every phone calls.

And yup! Its definitely LJU2/2A master box as I saw the label inside the master box when I remove my Commtel Phone Guard from my master BT socket.

I took the liberty of taking a picture of my junction box in the living room, its looks horrible and its old too!! Hanging by wires on each side, even its swings back and forth when I touch it or when the window is open on windy day!! I asked my dad about it and he says that BT Engineer says its fine and its works perfectly when he first installed the phone line back in 1973, but I doubt it very much as it looks horrible and its too old, period!
      Last edited by jonathanen; 31-01-08 at 01:41 PM.

jonathanen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Colindale
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub SR203 / 4.2
      Sky TV: Q 2TB & 4xMinis
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lee2007 View Post
      yes if you complain to bt that SOMETIMES you can hear crackling etc on your line but its not there all the time, tell them the lasttime you spoke to bt, they told you to test from the master socket to see if it cured the problem, tell them you have found out that you do not have a master socket so you are unable to test the line, bt should then arrange for a enginerr to come to your house, tell him the same, he should then at least replace your bt socket to a master socket.

I did this 2 weeks ago, when the enginer came out, he ended up replacing my full line to the telegraph poll, he left the junction box in place, used the existing wire to where my bt socket is now, he removed the socket and fitted it with a master socket - for no cost whatsoever.
      The colour of your existing wire to your BT socket is White or Grey?

How old is your BT Line is now? Mine one is 35 years now since 1973 and the wiring is very old using White wire from BT non-NTE5 socket to Brown junction box, then the Black wire from the other side of junction box to outside of the house.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12