Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Going bald slowly......

This is a discussion on Going bald slowly...... within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Thanks for your advice The Realist. I asked the BT engineer to change the line and he refused, saying the ...

fourtears is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CANONBURY
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Going bald slowly......

Thanks for your advice The Realist. I asked the BT engineer to change the line and he refused, saying the line tested fine. Are there any sky support bods on here can tell me how to get sky to respond?

Oh dear. I just spent 50 minutes on the phone to sky and they repeatedly refused to escalate the issue. The guy I was speaking to had no idea what a TPS was and the next line refused to take the call saying I should call BT again and no they wouldn't even speak to me after that because it was not a sky issue. I don't see the point in calling BT as I will just get another engineer who does not know anything about broadband and he will run the tests on the line again (without the router of course) and say all is fine, then charge me for the visit.

Maybe Virgin cable is my only option now.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

You spoke to Tier 1 and TPS is not in our training or our guidelines so you will not get very far saying that to them. You can tell them that BT engineer has been out and has done the line checks he was asked to do but HE told you that a TPS would need to be requested by Sky as there is still an issue at the exchange. That (might) get you through the system to CST but nothing is guaranteed.
      You could always call cancellations and tell them that since you cannot get a stable service provided by Sky that you will have no other option but to cancel for failure to provide service if a TPS is not arranged.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Paul,

Please don't take my comment personally as you are clearly the exception.. but I find it hard to understand how sky can have people on technical support who don't have the same level of technical knowledge that can be gained by a couple of hours browsing this forum.

I might try again at midnight or something when things should be less busy and beg for them to make a new ticket. I guess I could describe the fault differently... unacceptable internet performance when the phone line is being used.... but I fear they will just knock down my speed then which I know won't solve the problem because same thing happend with my old ISP at 1mb.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

was gonna say, tier 1 have no knowledge of a TPS so asking for one will fall of deaf ears...as for getting one, you only do IF: -

1. you have no sync in the test socket;
      2. you can't get above 128kbps;
      3. line is less the 5KM total length

and even then it's at Sky's discretion...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks..

Attenuation is about 25db so I think that might be less than 5km. Crow flies about 800m I think.

Sync usually lost when using phone only but rest of the time pretty reliable 8mb with about 8-9db margin (not good given the 25db attenuation which also points to a rubbish line I think).

Thanks

IF the line drops when on the phone then it would suggest faulty filters initially...i wouldn't think its a line issue unless that snr is in the test socket also - then although you have a short line its still physically bad and there's nothing Sky can do to help...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes I agree it sounded like filters, or internal wiring. To eliminate those I tested in test socket with several different filters from different sources, two different sky routers, and two different telephones.

What I am asking sky to do is raise this as a fault with BT so that the next engineer who comes out will test the line with the router connected rather than test it for voice only and say that broadband is not his problem.

I think The Realist got the same problem solved eventually by raising a TPS and getting BT to switch to another pair in his line to the exchange.

From reading another site, the technical problem sounds like it could either be a bad wire or joint that only creates noise when the high frequency ADSL signal is on the line, or it could be a faulty piece of equipment at the exchange/DSLAM end. Either way BT don't seem to want to know unless they are told to investigate by my ISP, which is Sky.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well I am pleased to say, that after several attempts I finally got past T1 support at sky and once I was speaking to T2, then T3 everything has been resolved. The T3 guy listened to what tests I had done, immediately concluded it was a line problem, and the BT engineer was called for the next day. Having switched the pair between my house and the exchange I am now running on 16mb.

For anyone else having the same problems, I think I only got the engineer quickly because the router, phone, filter and sky equipment at the exchange end could all be ruled out. Another tip is not to bother logging a call with the normal BT voice engineer because you might get one like me who knows nothing about broadband.

I am now impressed with sky T2/T3 support.

jamiem1987 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Darton
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

im having pretty much the same problem mate, used to get 14mbps now only the 8 and i have a stupid amount of errors on my line, no one wants to know apparently sky t3 have escalated the problem to engineers at my exchange (emergency que 2) dont know how true that is? Apparently they need to do work on the VBIN i think he said on the dslam, maybe a sky worker could check any tickets open on my account and see if this is true? or even contact bt because i have contacted them and im told theres no fault on my line and sky refuse to contact bt. Many thanks

Thanks

the E2 is true so id assume it's all being looked at - just have patience, enjoy life outside of BB for a bit!!!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast