Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Master Socket Noob Question

This is a discussion on Master Socket Noob Question within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, new to the forum and to sky as well so please bear with me. I have been with ...

mortakos is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHEA
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Master Socket Noob Question

Hi guys,
      new to the forum and to sky as well so please bear with me. I have been with NTL for the past 6 years and never had a BT line installed to my house.

Well after giving up with VM i decided to join SKY and ordered a new BT line which BT told me would cost me 124.99

Anyway, my question is that i do not know if i have a master socket installed in my house. I have one socket on the front of the house that has a logo saying "Cable Wireless" and i also have one in my living room that's probably an extension socket. Is the "Cable Wireless" socket my master?

Finally, when the BT engineer comes to my house for installation can i ask him to put my master socket wherever i want? Will i be charged extra for it???

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Master Socket Noob Question

Hi welcome to the forum. A master socket is normally near to the front entrance to your house, inside the front door etc. If you havnt got one , and it would appear that you havnt as Bt would offer you a reconnection deal which if i am right is free , to restore your line. When i reconnected to BT i also had a cable and wireless master socket, which the freindly engineer replaced with a master socket.

mortakos is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHEA
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid BT haven't offered a free reconnection. I paid 124.99 however SKY said that they will credit my account with that amount so eventually it will be free. From what you said though i am bit worried as the "Cable Wireless" master socket is quite far away from my computer. Is there no option for me asking the engineer to put the master where i want it?

Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

They normally put it into the nearest point from where the phone line enters your house. You could use an extention cable to connect to your PC, how ever this could and almost certainlt effect your speed. Could you put the PC somewhere nearer? It may be worth talking with your engineer. Good to hear that Sky have reinbursed your account, a step forward in their dubious customer relations