Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Can't find Master Socket!

This is a discussion on Can't find Master Socket! within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ok, well will give that a go, I am sure I will find it somewhere. The whole reason for this ...

markdraper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yateley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Can't find Master Socket!

ok, well will give that a go, I am sure I will find it somewhere.

The whole reason for this thread is to speed up my broadband, making sure it's all correct.
      Last edited by markdraper; 23-10-07 at 05:11 PM.

2. Advertisement
      eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Do you have a working telephone and/or broadband? If so look at the socket they are plugged into. Does it have any sort of a BT or Openreach logo on it?
      If so, chances are that is your master socket. There are some pictures of NTE5 and the older type of master sockets in this thread if you just remove the front cover:- Guide to rewiring internal UK phone wiring

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

To update this old thread again,

We had some static on the line when using the phone and the broadband kept dropping out.
      So we called BT and they got me to do some test, with a corded phone and their own line test, and they decided it was the line that was at fault.

So an engineer came out and did some test and he decided, that the master socket, which was in the lounge all the time, but it was probably the original one from when the house was built, was at fault and also the small rectangle junction box in the garage was replaced but not because he know it was broken, just in case type basis.

Now it is working fine, but here is out new problem, the engineer said that it was all covered by BT as it's their stuff that was at fault.

but... we got a bill for 330, they have charged us for the privilege of having it all working now. Saying it is for the small rectangle junction box replacement, which he did

They are not budging and it's now taken 10 phone calls with them and we are no further since we got the bill.

Does anyone have any idea if they are right on charging us this much, or what else can we do to not pay this ridiculous charge, which they said wasn't going to happen.

Cheers Mark

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

When you phoned BT faults and they ran the line test, are you sure it failed? If it did, then there would be a definite fault, and the visiting tech would not have replaced a junction box on spec. Why did they say a visit was necessary?. If the line test passed, they you would have been warned that a vist would/may be chargeable.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

they said that if we tested the line ourselves with a corded phone, and the static was still there, it's a fault with something to do with BT's equipment. so they said they would send out an engineer to replace parts if needed to rectify the problem.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Yes I understand that, but what was the result of the line test that they carried out when you reported the defect? This is important because if this finds no fault, then the decision to charge for a visit is made. Only if the subsequent visit finds a defect is the charge waved. You said that the tech who visited replaced a master socket and a junction box "on spec" so if he/she reported that they found no definite fault the charge is the result.
      I must admmit I think this is a bit mean to say the least.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

They said the actual line didn't have a problem, but they said they would send out the engineer to check sockets and other things.

So it's annoying really.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12