Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sorry, XTE 2005 faceplate filter again

This is a discussion on Sorry, XTE 2005 faceplate filter again within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am going to be installing the XTE 2005 to the split face master socket, then connect the extension cables ...

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sorry, XTE 2005 faceplate filter again

I am going to be installing the XTE 2005 to the split face master socket, then connect the extension cables to the phone side of the faceplate, then run a extension from the ADSL side of the faceplate upstairs to the computer, where the modem is. Would this be correct.

Also do the ring wires need connecting, on the extensions used by the phones, or can these be left off.

And lastly, i have got a faceplate to fit on the other end of extension that will be for the ADSL, it is a RJ11 wall plate and it has four wires already on the back of, going into four holes on the back of the wall plate, i was just woundering if anyone knows how these wall plates are connected to the extension, leading up to it from the unfiltered side of the filter faceplate for the ADSL signal.

I could really use some help with this, if anyone out there has any answers to this, greatly welcome....

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sorry, XTE 2005 faceplate filter again

Yes the ring wire needs to be connected on the voice extensions otherwise some phones may not ring. There is no advantage in removing it for voice connections.
      adslnation

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

For the ADSL extension, you use just the blue wires. On the inside of the filter faceplate, connect the BLUE/white wire to terminal B and the WHITE/blue wire to terminal A. At the other end of the ADSL extension (the end where you're going to be putting your router), connect the BLUE/white wire to terminal 3 and the WHITE/blue wire to terminal 4 of the RJ11 faceplate.

For the voice extensions, the wires are connected as follows:
      • Terminal 2 - BLUE/white
      • Terminal 3 - ORANGE/white
      • Terminal 4 - WHITE/orange
      • Terminal 5 - WHITE/blue

Where I have written things like "ORANGE/white", I mean "the orange wire with a white stripe".

As adslnation said, you do need to connect the ring wire on the voice extensions. This is the opposite of the advice given to people who are not using a splitter faceplace, but are using microfilters instead (these people are advised not to connect the ring wire).

But if you're putting in a new cable between the master socket and the computer, I'd recommend putting the router right next to the master socket. Plug it into the ADSL socket on the front of the splitter faceplate. Then run an Ethernet cable from the router up to the computer upstairs. Ethernet carries data with complete reliability for distances up to 100 metres, whereas every metre of extra cable you use between the master socket and the router degrades the quality of the ADSL signal.

JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Most people prefer the router to be near the computer so they can see what it's doing. If the ADSL extension from the unfiltered terminals on the faceplate is run in CAT5/CAT5e cable, the performance is the same as the ethernet method. Ethernet cable is CAT5 anyway.

JaX

Thanks

Thanks for that reply James67, that was very useful information.

Also to make sure that the RJ11 faceplate is wired up correctly i am going to post a picture of the back of the plate, to make sure the wires go to the correct points.

Thanks for the help with this problem.

Thanks

From what i said in my first post of this thread, about the wiring of the RJ11 wall plate i have attached a picture of the back of the wall plate, to make sure that the extension from the back of the filtered faceplate, to the RJ11 wall plate is wired correctly.

Any help with the wiring of the RJ11 wall plate, greatly welcomed.

Has anyone got any ideas about this.

See attached picture file.........
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sorry, XTE 2005 faceplate filter again-dsc00095.jpg  
      Last edited by Andy17; 19-10-07 at 04:44 PM.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

If you wire up the ADSL extension cable as suggested in my first post, you would have to wire the BLUE/white wire to the terminal on the RJ11 socket that has the red wire, and the WHITE/blue wire to the terminal that has the green wire.

You don't need to use Cat5 cable to wire up an ADSL extension. Ordinary 4-core twisted-pair telephone cable will give pretty much the same performance. But it must be twisted-pair cable - DON'T use the flat-type telephone cables that are sometimes sold in DIY stores.

And I'm sorry but I have to disagree with JaXanim, ADSL signals and 100Base-T signals are very different in nature. For a start, ADSL is analogue (which is why you need a modem to convert it to digital data) and so any degradation in the quality of the signal has an impact on how well the connection performs. By contrast, Ethernet is a digital signal, and so performs identically regardless of the level of signal degradation, provided that degradation doesn't exceed a certain level. This is why it's best to get the analogue ADSL signal converted to a digital Ethernet signal as soon as you can.

Also the difference between Cat5 cable and ordinary twisted-pair telephone cable is that the Cat5 cable has a tighter spec on the number of twists. This improves noise rejection at higher frequencies (which is why it's needed for 100Base-T Ethernet), but at ADSL frequencies there's very little difference.

Thanks

Thanks for all your help with this matter, i now know how to wire the RJ11 wall plate, this was my only problem but now sorted.

Thanks for all the help.........

Thanks

Has anyone on here used this RJ11 wall socket, to connect the modem to the extension going to the filter faceplate, if anyone has then are these sockets good.

Any relys would be welcomed to this query.