Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Faceplate wiring and low SNR

This is a discussion on Faceplate wiring and low SNR within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I have recently checked the SNR ratio on my line and it is very low (1-2 db). I think ...

garyevs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: about to migrate
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Faceplate wiring and low SNR

Hi

I have recently checked the SNR ratio on my line and it is very low (1-2 db). I think I may have a problem with the way my socket is wired. It was installed by a BT engineer some years ago, but it just does not look right.

Before I had broadband, I had a second line in the house, BT ran both lines off the same cable. I also had a hardwired extension cable running to other phones in the house. I would not expect the engineer to have been confused by all this, but you never know.

The second line has now been removed and I no longer use the extensions in other areas of the house, though the cables are still in place.

I have an original BT "ADSL v1.0" master socket. The ADSL line runs via a RJ45 plug directly to a RJ11 socket, which my router plugs into. I just have one cordless phone plugged into the phone socket. I do not have a filter on this phone, as I understand that this socket is already filtered.

I had a look at the reverse of the backplate as well, and the socket is wired as follows:

The 2 blue/white wires from the incoming cable are connected to the terminals at the top of the reverse of the backplate (A & B). All the other wires in the incoming cable are unused.

The 2 blue/white wires and 1 orange wire from the (now unused) extension cable are connected to the 3 terminals on the rear of the RJ45 socket (the orange cable in the centre).

I have hardwired extension cables in my house and others so I am not a complete novice, but I cannot see any way that this is correct. I am amazed that it works at all, and I imagine that this must be the reason for the very low SNR on the line.

Am I correct in assuming that the blue/white wires in the incoming cable are the only ones that need to be connected to the socket (via terminals A & B) ?

If so, does the RJ45 socket also take its signal from terminals A & B, and can I therefore just disconnect the wires to the rear of the RJ45 socket?

Any help would be appreciated....

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Faceplate wiring and low SNR

Quote Originally Posted by garyevs View Post
      Am I correct in assuming that the blue/white wires in the incoming cable are the only ones that need to be connected to the socket (via terminals A & B) ?
      Yes

If so, does the RJ45 socket also take its signal from terminals A & B, and can I therefore just disconnect the wires to the rear of the RJ45 socket?
      Yes

Jax