Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Telephone extension wiring help

This is a discussion on Telephone extension wiring help within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; In my hallway I have a BT master socket that connects 2 extension sockets; one into the living room which ...

mdstone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Telephone extension wiring help

In my hallway I have a BT master socket that connects 2 extension sockets; one into the living room which I use for telephone and sky+ (filtered) and the other runs upstairs to my office which I will use for ADSL.

The problem I have is that the extensions are both wired into the master socket onto the same IDC connector (on top of one another). As a result I can't get a dial tone on the extension socket in my office. Looking at the inside of the master socket face plate I can see that the extension that isnt working has the wires connected to the IDC connector directly ON TOP of the other extension wires and I have a suspicion that the contacts aren't touching correctly.

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't this wiring a bit amatuer?

What I would like to know is, are there any master socket flace plates (NTE5 compatable) that have 2 sets of IDC connectors and 2 outputs so that I can rewire the extensions to seperate connectors?

This is the easy option, otherwise the only other option I can see would be a junction box but this would be more costly, more work and will look ugly.
      It is not possible for me to run the non working extension to the other extension in the living room (like a daisy chain) as it is too far away and I can't see this having any benefit.

Any help much appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Telephone extension wiring help

Quote Originally Posted by mdstone View Post
      Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't this wiring a bit amatuer?
      Yes.
      The best solution as I see it is to replace the master socket faceplate with an NTE-2005 or XTE-2005. These have connectors for both filtered (phone) connections and unfiltered (ADSL) connections. The existing wiring could then be used to provide a dedicated ADSL socket and a separate phone socket (which wouldn't need a dangley filter).
      Additional sockets are usually wired in daisey chain fashion as you surmised.

JaX

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

slight bit of confusion, but as both extension cabling is hardwired into the back of the master socket face plate, what do I need to do to connect this NTE-2005?

If I remove the wires from the current face plate then I have 2 sets of 4 wires to play with. Do I just connect the relevant 3 telephone extension wires to the IDC connector on the NTE-2005 and then wire the other extension for ADSL into the back of an adapter that will plug into directly into the ADSL socket?

To my understanding, this will leave me with one hardwired connection for the phone extension and an adaptor poking out of the new NTE-2005 socket for the ADSL.
      Is there not a solution to hardwire both extensions into the back of the faceplate for tidiness?

sorry if i'm getting the wrong end of the stick but Cat5e wiring is so much easier and less complicated!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Having done some more research would I be right in thinking that I should hardwire only 2 phone wires into pins 2 + 5 on the filtered connector and then wire 2 pins into A + B for the ADSL?

Any help on which colour is which for the 2 phone connections and ADSL would be great.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes, that's correct. The IDC A/B on the back of the filtered faceplate should be connected (ideally with CAT5) to the ADSL router socket. IDC 2 and 5 are the filtered connectors for the phone socket(s).
      Only the two wires (2/5) are used for phones these days. The BT incoming cable will be connected to the master A/B screwed terminals and maybe other IDC terminals on the rear of the wall backbox. All except A/B should be disconnected (but don't tell BT!).
      It's usual to use the blue/white+blue twisted pair for the 2/5 connections. You can use whatever pair you like for the ADSL connection as long as you use the same pair at the other end and terminate with a suitable socket. You can get boxes with an RJ11 socket to take a short lead from the router. I understand that the RJ11 plugs will also connect into an RJ45 socket if that's what you fit, but I haven't tried that.
      JaX

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I currently still have a telephone extension lead wired into the master socket, I know Cat5 would be better but can I still connect up the existing phone cable into pins A & B?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mdstone View Post
      I currently still have a telephone extension lead wired into the master socket, I know Cat5 would be better but can I still connect up the existing phone cable into pins A & B?
      Do you wish this 'phone' line to be your ADSL line?

JaX
      Last edited by JaXanim; 12-10-07 at 04:18 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes, I think I have sorted it now. Blue W White and White w blue into the 2&5 pins then same for the adsl but into A&B.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

There is a link to a PDF on THIS page which shows how to connect the wires for ADSL/Phone which may be of some help.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've wired this up correctly, only now my adsl line is half the speed it was when it was plugged into the extension in the living room. I was getting about 4mb and now its only just over 1mb. So i've lost a massive 3mb!

I've re wired it a few times and made sure its connected properly but it makes no difference to the speed.

Incidentally, my upload speed seems ok.

Here are my router details:

noise margin downstream: 8 db
      output power upstream: 11 db
      attenuation downstream: 26 db

Any ideas?
      Last edited by mdstone; 15-10-07 at 06:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast