Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

BT Master Socket and in house RJ45 network

This is a discussion on BT Master Socket and in house RJ45 network within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Help wanted please. I have a new house and am new to ADSL (the old one was cable). BT have ...

glixd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01223
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

BT Master Socket and in house RJ45 network

Help wanted please.

I have a new house and am new to ADSL (the old one was cable).

BT have fitted a 2 part master socket last week (i.e. you unscrew the face plate to reveal 4 punchdown points and 2 more screws. Remove these and the rest of the plate comes off the wall revealing 2 screw down connections - this sort of plate has been described on another thred that I can't find). The blue and blue/white wires have been terminated on the screw terminals on the main inner plate. They have left 4 wires unterminated (orange, white/orange, green and white/green).

The builders have installed Cat5 diasy chained points throught the house (why diasy chained I have no idea) including the study. I want to put my ADSL router there. I know I will need to use a mod tap to convert the RJ45 point to a BT jack and then use a microfilter to split to the an RJ11 for the ADSL modem and BT point.

Question is what 4 wires of the 8 wires going round the house do I need to connect on the front part of the BT master socket (4 punchdown points numbered 2 to 5) ?

I know this will depend on how the installers of the RJ45 sockets in the house have terminated the points. I have had one of these off the wall an here is what I found - a black block that takes 4 terminations on the left and right hand sides (looking at the back of the wall plate) with 2 wires of the same colour terminated in each (hence the daisychain between points) -

LEFT RIGHT
      white/blue green
      blue white/orange
      white/green white/brown
      orange brown

Not sure which pins these refer to of the RJ45 socket.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Glix D

2. Advertisement
      JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: BT Master Socket and in house RJ45 network

As I see it, your line of CAT5 links should start at terminals 2 and 5 on the master socket backplate. However, you'd do better swapping this for an NTE-2005 or XTE-2005 filtered one. This has connectors for filtered (phone) lines and unfiltered (ADSL) lines. It will allow you to wire phone sockets and ADSL sockets as you wish, without needing any dangly filters anywhere.

The important thing is that all the phone socket connectors should daisy chain to terminals 2 and 5 on the faceplate. The ADSL line should be a separate pair from the phone line pair and connect to the unfiltered terminals A & B on the faceplate. These will presumably daisy chain via the box connectors without interfering with the phone terminals till they reach the router box. So, only two pairs of the CAT5 cable are connected. Also, the standard BT faceplate doesn't have this A/B option for the ADSL pair and you would have to fit them to the incoming line terminals A & B behind the box. This is against BT rules, but it will work OK.

At the place where you wish to plug the router, I'd swap that box for one with an RJ11 socket instead of the RJ45, which isn't much use for this purpose.
      JaX

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I am not sure why you have have RJ45 sockets fitted for a telephone extension, but these pages may be of some help.
      TELEPHONE SOCKET WIRING - HOW TO DO IT

UK Telephone Wiring

If this has been done properly in twisted pair cable, you may be able to get a good result by using one of THESE in your study. I am sure that connecting to the terminals in the main box is illegal and could get you in trouble with the BT. All connections must be made to the faceplate. If you use an ADSL Master socket faceplate, you can use one of the pairs of wires as a dedicated ADSL circuit. Or you could use an ADSL extension plate to split the line at your study socket. The result you get will depend on the quality of the manufacture and fitting of the wiring.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I used an RJ45 module last night.

All I did was connect the Blue/Blue White wires on the module, and then connected them to my filtered face plate on the A and B terminals.

The RJ11 lead that comes with the Router will plug into the RJ45 socket and bob's your uncle
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So an RJ11 plug will actually work in an RJ45 socket. I often wondered whether they would, cheers.

JaX