Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Should I Replace NTE5 ADSL Splitter v1.0

This is a discussion on Should I Replace NTE5 ADSL Splitter v1.0 within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just trying to eek every last drop of speed from my line. Back in the day I had BT Homehighway ...

blisteringblue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horwich
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Should I Replace NTE5 ADSL Splitter v1.0

Just trying to eek every last drop of speed from my line.

Back in the day I had BT Homehighway ISDN in my home office. Along came ADSL and this was removed by BT who installed an NTE5 ADSL Splitter v1.0 Faceplate and I had Home 500 ADSL.

This week I have moved from BT ADSLMax broadband to the Sky Mid product and while the speed is on a par with ADSLMax I thought I would get closer to the 8mb I could get.

I am around 3km from the exchange so I know I'm not going to get much more than that (reason I never went for MAX).

Somebody in the help forum said I should look to replace the NTE5 ADSL faceplate with the ADSLNation XTE-2005 as this is geared better to the new Sky broadband I now have.

I wasn't expecting that? Is it really worth it and am I likely to see any additional benefit from what I already have.

Stats are below in my sig, and I am currently synced at 7616 Kbps, with LA 42.0db and NM 8.3db.

One other point, I've since moved my office into the loft and am using a BT supplied ADSL extension socket too. The RJ11 cable then runs out of the extension into the Sky Router, would it help if I just got a 15m single RJ11 cable? And again would I get any remarkable differences bearing in mind the 3km to the exchange.
      Last edited by blisteringblue; 29-09-07 at 07:30 PM.
      Post Sky DLM and after some cowboy contracters and BT ruined my line quality (was 6mb pre DLM):

2. Advertisement
      adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Should I Replace NTE5 ADSL Splitter v1.0

Remove the faceplate and connect the modem direct into the test socket at the back of the box with no phone equipment connected. This will show you the maximum possible performance you can get from the line. If there is no difference then making changes to your set-up will not achieve anything.
      adslnation

blisteringblue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horwich
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Should I Replace NTE5 ADSL Splitter v1.0

Quote Originally Posted by adslnation View Post
      Remove the faceplate and connect the modem direct into the test socket at the back of the box with no phone equipment connected. This will show you the maximum possible performance you can get from the line. If there is no difference then making changes to your set-up will not achieve anything.
      Just done this and the speed was exactly the same, so happy to leave it all now. Almost the speed I was expecting.
      Post Sky DLM and after some cowboy contracters and BT ruined my line quality (was 6mb pre DLM):