Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cabling question

This is a discussion on Cabling question within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there. I moved into a new house recently and switched to Sky Mid from Nildram. The house I now ...

toploader25 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01656
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cabling question

Hi there.

I moved into a new house recently and switched to Sky Mid from Nildram. The house I now live in has the master socket in the lounge and a cable coming out the bottom of the box throught the wall to the dining room where the previous occupant has his PC. It has a standard phone box on thend with BT openreach on it.

I am currently getting a download speed of around 5.5Mb. Last night I disconnected the fromt plate to see what the cabling was like behind. The cable that goes through the wall to the dining room was not connected to the faceplate but is connected somewhere inside the box. I conencted to the master socket and had a speed increase of about 200k.

Am I right in thinking that the people on this forum who had a major increase in speed had the extension cables wired into the faceplate or is how mine is connected standard?

As this cable is connected internally somewhere would it be easy to disconnect as I do not need it and want to get rid of it and fill in the big hole in the dining room!!

Here are some line stats taken at 9:30pm last night
      down up
      Line attenuation 16.0 11.0
      Noise margin 15.8 13.0

These are ok arent they?!?!? I am about 3/4 mile from the exchange. With these stats I should get good speeds with Max shouldnt I?

Thanks for all your help.
      Last edited by toploader25; 27-09-07 at 10:00 AM.

2. Advertisement
      JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Cabling question

@toploader25,
      If I read it right, your NTE5 master socket has an unfiltered fly lead from the rear A & B terminals into the dining room. You can check it by removing the main box and noting the way the incoming BT cable and the other lead are connected. It sounds like they are both on the A/B terminals, which looks like a DIY job to me. If my guess is right, try the following.

From your observed speed increase, this extra lead must be very noisey. You should remove just the dining room wires, so only the BT incoming is on A/B. The extra wires and socket can then be dispensed with. You should also disconnect any BT incoming wires (usually orange) going to connectors 3,4 or 6. I'd also replace the BT faceplate with the NTE-2005 one. This will give you a well filtered phone socket and a good RJ11 ADSL socket for the modem.
      JaX

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that. Will have a look over the weekend and have a go at taking the extension cable out.

By the state of the hole going through to the dining room I think it would of been a DIY job!!

Thanks again.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

if its just a hole going into the room next door run an ethernet cable and leave the router in the master socket - thus eliminating any future issues (bar master socket itself going faulty)
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have had a lookthi afternoon and have found that the master socket has 2 screw type connectors with the blue wire and the blue/white wire connected to them.

The extension lead going through to the dining room has strange conenctors connecting the orange and orange/white cables from the main BT cable connected to the blue/blue white wires that come from the extension lead in the dining room.

Am I ok to just cut the orangr and orange/white wires that lead into the extension cable? Am 95% sure I can but thought I would just check first.

Thanks.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

As long as those 2 are not wired into pins 2 and 5 at the other end of the extension, I think you should be fine.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The extension box in the dining room is the same as the master. It has 2 screw terminals with the blue (which is connected to the main orange)and blue/white (which is connected to the main orange/white) connected to them.

Help!!

JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toploader25 View Post
      The extension box in the dining room is the same as the master. It has 2 screw terminals with the blue (which is connected to the main orange)and blue/white (which is connected to the main orange/white) connected to them.
      Help!!
      When you say the extension is the same as the master, do you mean both externally and internally? Master sockets are different internally from extension sockets.
      From what you describe, the extension wires (orange and orange/white) are connected to the BT incoming via some sort of splice. Can you undo these to remove these DIY wires?
      If you remove the extension wires from the back of the master socket, the system should be back to normal. If you don't need the dining room box, remove it and fill the hole in the wall. Are there any other wires in the BT incoming cable connected to the master socket (eg orange and orange/white)? If so you can disconnect them. Only the blue and blue/white going to A and B screw terminals are required.

JaX

PG-Tips is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Worthing West
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sounds to me like the dining room is/was on a second line. Does it have a dial-tone on it?

PG-Tips

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The Master and the Ext box do look the same externally and internally. They both have the same type of screw connectors on them. I have included a fantastic (If I do say so myself!!) wiring diagram, god bless paint!! I know its small but you should be able to understand it!

Hope this clears thing up. We want to get rid of the ext box and fill in the hole so if someone can tell me that its ok to cut the wires going to the ext box then I am a happy man!!

Thanks for all your help on this.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cabling question-wiring.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast