Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Through "cable wiring" box

This is a discussion on Through "cable wiring" box within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Looking at removing the ring wire but i have a pretty strange setup. The previous Owners had Telewest so ...

scuba is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stourbridge
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Through "cable wiring" box

Hi,

Looking at removing the ring wire but i have a pretty strange setup. The previous Owners had Telewest so from a main cable point, the extentions went upstairs and around the house. When I moved in, I activated the BT line, and ordered sky. When the sky engineers came, they piped the sky plus in via the cable box.

So it when BT >> Cable >> Extentions and Sky Plus

When I got broadband, I managed to fiddle with the wires to get the extentions to work so I can plug in upstairs (going back it was a bit trial and error)

Looking at the cable boxes the wires setup seems different to the BT ones on the web....any guides on what wires to remove here? Are there ring wires on cable boxes? there still seems plenty of wires attached.

Any help would be great

2. Advertisement
      scuba is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stourbridge
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Through "cable wiring" box

No one?

greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Telephone wiring usually follows the same pattern whether it's BT or anyone else's. If the Sky guy tapped into the Telewest system then he did something VERY wrong. You only really want wires to connections 2 & 5 in any of your, by the sounds of it, various sockets. But....is it possible to do yourself a favour and run a new length of cable direct from the master and straight to your computer? If you're looking for an improvement by removing the ring wire circuit, I'd hazard a guess things won't get much better until you lose all those extensions......
      Too much information here, but it's a good read if you're at a loose end, Guide to rewiring internal UK phone wiring
      Last edited by greyrider; 12-02-08 at 02:14 PM.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greyrider View Post
      Too much information here, but it's a good read if you're at a loose end, Guide to rewiring internal UK phone wiring
      It's a very detailed guide, but the fixation with cat-5 cable is a bit over the top, in my opinion. Twisted pair telephone cable is perfectly fine - but make sure it is twisted pair, flat cables are definitely not good for ADSL.

Cat-5 is better at rejecting interference than normal twisted pair telephone cable, but only at frequencies well beyond ADSL frequencies.