Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Internet stops when phone is in use

This is a discussion on Internet stops when phone is in use within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've just fitted a XTE faceplate and used the filtered sockets, ie connected the Blue cables to socket 2 & ...

mossmanfly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Internet stops when phone is in use

I've just fitted a XTE faceplate and used the filtered sockets, ie connected the Blue cables to socket 2 & 5. When I pick up the phone from the master socket or an extension the internet stops, it doesnt actually disconnect, or at least in the tests i've done it doesnt. I can see it stopping as I use the Speedtest NDO site and see the speed drop and then when I hang up the phone the speed comes back again.

I have tried both with the filter and without a filter and both give the same results.

When I first got broadband back in 2002, we had issues with the internet disconnecting when the phone was in use, this has since cleared up. Since about the 26th of August, we have been having issues with the broadband disconnecting alot and also disconnecting when the phone is in use, or slowing down like above. But this was intermittent, with some nights its perfectly fine with no problems using the phone to others where it was. I have now put the new XTE faceplate on yesterday but still have this phone issue, maybe it will clear up. From memory the SNR on the downstream is about 11.7-9 and the up was 13.

I have the Blue connectors in the Phone side of the filter, in 2 & 5, I think the dark blue is in 2 and then the white and blue in 5. This should mean all the other extensions are filtered and I wouldnt need filters, is this correct? Looking on 1 of the diagrams on here it does say to put the white and orange connector into socekt 3, is that worth doing? Is it worth calling BT and seeing if there is an issue on the phone line, as we have been experiencing alot of disconnection in the past 3 weeks, i've put it down to the extension becoming bad over time.

Any advise would be welcome.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Internet stops when phone is in use

you really wanna try the test socket with a filter and if it does it then there's prob a line issue - if not the faceplate is falty/wired wrong
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      you really wanna try the test socket with a filter and if it does it then there's prob a line issue - if not the faceplate is falty/wired wrong
      Will try that tomorrow and see how it goes.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

TBH I think it could be a line fault as its been itermittent over the last few weeks so before I even put the new faceplate it was playing up, some nights it would be fine with just alittle blip in the speed, others it would stop until the phone was put down, and others it would disconnect.

So I will need to give it more tests and see what it is. I have just the blue cables attached to the faceplate on 2 & 5 can these 2 cables be swapped over. On this diagram it shows another orange cable, would this be wise to use.