Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

BT Wiring????

This is a discussion on BT Wiring???? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello All. Right, a neighbour of mine has been on MID SKY BB for about 2 weeks now. Some times ...

smegs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Langley Mill
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

BT Wiring????

Hello All.

Right, a neighbour of mine has been on MID SKY BB for about 2 weeks now. Some times he can connect, others he can't. It's about 50/50.

The first thing I tried, was to take our SKY ROUTER over to his house. He still has the same problem!!!

He has a DELL PC, that HASN'T been formated since it was delivered. I went and got a NEW Hard drive to test in his PC, formatted, reinstalled XP, AV & Firewall , nothing else. Left it with him, and within a couple of hours, he was back to me with the same problem. Can't connect.

At the moment, we have swapped PC, I have been useing his PC for about 24hrs, without a problem. I waiting to see what has happend with my PC at his house.

I think the BT wiring my be at fault here. He has 2 extension from the Master Socket, 1 to the master bedroom, the other to the PC room upstairs. Not sure if the PC room socket runs from the Master Socket or from the Master Bedroom.

Am I right in thinking it is the Wiring???

Thanks.

Sorry, think I've put this in the WRONG Forum Section. Please move if poss. SORRY.
      Last edited by smegs; 14-09-07 at 01:13 PM. Reason: WRONG Forum Section

2. Advertisement
      monsta45 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: West Bromwich
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: BT Wiring????

just take the fronts off the secondary sockets and make sure only wires connected are "2" and "5" and also cut out capacitors on secondary sockets.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I am afraid it is the same old story. He must test it from the Test socket, without isolating the extensions, doing anything else is a waste of time. I know it is a lot of hassle to move the PC near enough to the Master socket, but it could be well worth it in the end.

Removing the 'ring' wire may help, but it is unlikely to be the only problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Right, update.

Thank you both for the replies.

Went round to see how he's got on with my PC, still got the same problem.

I said about checking the wiring, he has now informed me, he has a mate that is a BT BB Engineer. He's going to give him a ring to see what he says. I awaite the out-come!!!

Again, thanks for the info.

Thanks

Ok, the BT Engineer has been round, he did checks to his land line & sockets, Nothing wrong. So he put a SMALL FILTER inside the MASTER SOCKET. He's had NO problems since.

JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Your friend can probably get a better sync speed if he installs a CAT5 cable from the now filtered master socket to the pc, using either the existing box as a dedicated ADSL line or fitting an ADSL socketed box to the CAT5. The way to test this is as peviously indicated, use the test socket on the BT master. I assume it's an NTE5 the engineer fixed?
      Cheers,
      JaX

Thanks

Hello JaXanim,

Don't think he'll be going that far, he's 65.

As for the NTE5, I couldn't tell you. My friend told me his friend came and tested things, all seemed ok, so his friend put this FILTER inside the Master Socket. Can't be seen from just looking at the socket.

Thanks.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Don't think he'll be going that far, he's 65.
      Hey, just because we are 'oldies' doesn't mean we don't want the best we can get you know.

If he has separate wires going to the extension his best plan would be to fit a filtered faceplate, connect the existing wire to his PC room to the ADSL terminals and change the outlet to an RJ11. If the wires to the sockets are not separate, he could fit a filtered plate and use a longer RJ11 cable to his PC room. His BT pal should be able to do this easily.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.