Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Non-NTE5 master socket with dual sockets

This is a discussion on Non-NTE5 master socket with dual sockets within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys I'm actually not a Sky broadband subscriber (...yet) but as you all seem to be a knowledgeable bunch ...

SuperCow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Non-NTE5 master socket with dual sockets

Hi guys

I'm actually not a Sky broadband subscriber (...yet) but as you all seem to be a knowledgeable bunch I hope you won't mind me posting here!

I recently moved into a new house that doesn't have an NTE5 master socket. Instead the master socket is equipped with 2 phone sockets (I only use the first line for phone/ADSL and the second line is unused). I've spent countless hours on the phone with BT trying to book an engineer in order to replace my existing master socket with a standard NTE5 however after hours on the phone and no more hair on my head I had to give up. I am now trying to make sense of my existing installation so that I can arrange for the job to be done through other means (yeah, I already know the rules about fidding with BT master sockets).

Here is what I have behind my socket:

Does the above setup look correct to you? Am I right in assuming that the source signals A and B are actually the blue and blue/white wires from cable 1? But then I am confused as to where the orange wire from cable 1 would come from (the one connected to pin 3 of the first socket)? If this is the ring wire then it should really be fed back to other extensions should it not (which doesn't seem to be the case here)? Could this be implying that I have a star/spur system (apparently there is a box on the side of the house but I couldn't see anything obviously BT-related in there). The extensions in the house have blue and blue-white wires connected in 2 and 5 and orange/orange-white connected in 3 and 4.
      (On a side note I am surprised line 2 doesn't have the ring wire connected but maybe it was used as fax only?).

Basically I would like your opinion on this setup, and where it would be safe to replace it with an NTE5 master socket by feeding blue and blue-white from cable 1 into A and B.

Your help would be appreciated!

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Non-NTE5 master socket with dual sockets

Anyone want to have a bash at answering this one?

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

hi have u tried flagging a passing bt van down and asking him/her to have a look [think bt charge a lot of money to put a new mster socket on and dont think they it the adsl one [have heard 60 callout and 110 to fit /work on your property mentioned ]i have even gone to my bt exchange and asked the guys from bt going in if they could have a look when theyre in the area [the 2 guys i met were cool about it ] and helped me solve my problems ,

JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCow View Post
      Does the above setup look correct to you? Am I right in assuming that the source signals A and B are actually the blue and blue/white wires from cable 1?
      These cables look like extensions to me, neither are the BT drop cable. Is there another cable coming into this box from behind? If so, that's the BT drop cable you need to wire in an NTE5 master unit. Also, if this is truly the master socket, it will have the antisurge gizmo, resistor and ring capacitor in the back.

If there's no other cable behind this box, then I think this box is just an extension from the drop cable, which must be located elsewhere and connected to this box, probably via cable 1. Cable 2 will supply another extension, but the ring wire in cable 2 is terminated in the wrong place. Doesn't actually matter though. All the blue pairs look OK.

JaX
      Last edited by JaXanim; 16-09-07 at 10:11 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the answers.
      Jax, I can confirm I can see the capacitors on this socket and the antisurge gizmos (one of each for each line). There are no other cables coming in from behind the box though. There is a box outside the house but I couldn't find a BT junction box in it...

JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCow View Post
      Thanks for the answers.
      Jax, I can confirm I can see the capacitors on this socket and the antisurge gizmos (one of each for each line). There are no other cables coming in from behind the box though. There is a box outside the house but I couldn't find a BT junction box in it...
      What colour is the outer casing on these cables and is one (or both) twisted pair (CAT5) type?

The outside box has no cable to a telephone post. etc?

JaX