Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Results 1 to 8 of 8

    Removing un-needed wires from Master Socket & WHY??

    This is a discussion on Removing un-needed wires from Master Socket & WHY?? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Following on from this thread here: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabli...ter-speed.html Originally Posted by kbv1 Hi I remember reading somewhere to get a better ...

    1. #1
      hellfire18's Avatar
      hellfire18 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: GARFORTH
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Posts
      154
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Removing un-needed wires from Master Socket & WHY??

      Following on from this thread here:

      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabli...ter-speed.html

      Quote Originally Posted by kbv1 View Post
      Hi
      I remember reading somewhere to get a better connection you have to remove some wires out of the main socket as they are not needed (orange one i think).
      And

      Quote Originally Posted by kbv1 View Post
      1) Unscrew the front pannel off your BT socket to expose the wires.

      2) Gently Pull out wires 1, 3, 4 & 6 leaving 2 & 5 plugged in.


      3) then screw face plate back on

      Dont cut the wires or anything just incase they are ever used,lol i very much doubt it but just in case
      VERY GOOD BY THE WAY, THANKS!

      What is the point in having 1,3,4 and 6 connected? And what are they connected for in the 1st place, also why does removing them have a positive effect potentially on broadband speed?

      Thank you,
      Chris.


    2. Advertisement
    3. #2
      JaXanim's Avatar
      JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Posts
      130
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Removing un-needed wires from Master Socket & WHY??

      Quote Originally Posted by hellfire18 View Post
      What is the point in having 1,3,4 and 6 connected? And what are they connected for in the 1st place, also why does removing them have a positive effect potentially on broadband speed?
      Read this:
      Guide to rewiring internal UK phone wiring

      I think you'll find the answers to all your questions.
      JaX

    4. #3
      hellfire18's Avatar
      hellfire18 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: GARFORTH
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Posts
      154
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Removing un-needed wires from Master Socket & WHY??

      Thanks JaX, but is there no simple answer?

      I appreciate that link is like a fountain of knowledge, but it's quite a mouth full, and I really just want a quick run down of why it is fine under normal circumstances to remove all the wires except for 2 and 5.

      I have a master socket downstairs and I have 1 extension in the bedroom upstairs, the router runs of the master socket and sends a signal wirelessly around the house.

      Thanks, Chris.

    5. #4
      Koala5's Avatar
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Posts
      1,964
      Thanks
      9
      Thanked 33 Times in 33 Posts

      Re: Removing un-needed wires from Master Socket & WHY??

      Basically the old style phones probably the ones with round dials needed a ring voltage to make an extension ring this was sent down the "ring wire" from a capacitor in the master socket but modern phones dont need it because they make the phone ring by using electronics built into the phone, the only problem is BT still seem to connect these wires to this day and for some reason these extra wires cause noise and interference to the broadband signal. I was Ok when I was running at 2mb with BT but as soon as I went to 8mb with Sky my problems started and it was indeed the extra wires causing the problem. Its seems the faster the connection the more interference is generated.

      Hope this helps.

    6. #5
      hellfire18's Avatar
      hellfire18 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: GARFORTH
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Posts
      154
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Removing un-needed wires from Master Socket & WHY??

      Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      Basically the old style phones probably the ones with round dials needed a ring voltage to make an extension ring this was sent down the "ring wire" from a capacitor in the master socket but modern phones dont need it because they make the phone ring by using electronics built into the phone, the only problem is BT still seem to connect these wires to this day and for some reason these extra wires cause noise and interference to the broadband signal. I was Ok when I was running at 2mb with BT but as soon as I went to 8mb with Sky my problems started and it was indeed the extra wires causing the problem. Its seems the faster the connection the more interference is generated.

      Hope this helps.
      Thank you, three last questions.

      * Would removing the wires in any way disrupt the functionality of my extension socket upstairs?

      * And even though I am running the Router off the master socket, should I also remove the extra wires off the extension socket?

      * What kind of increase are we talking about, and if I give you my stats could you tell me what it "could" be capable of in theory.

      Thanks again, Chris.
      Last edited by hellfire18; 03-09-07 at 04:15 PM.

    7. #6
      Koala5's Avatar
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Posts
      1,964
      Thanks
      9
      Thanked 33 Times in 33 Posts

      Re: Removing un-needed wires from Master Socket & WHY??

      Quote Originally Posted by hellfire18 View Post
      Thank you, three last questions.

      * Would removing the wires in any way disrupt the functionality of my extension socket upstairs?

      * And even though I am running the Router off the master socket, should I also remove the extra wires off the extension socket?

      * What kind of increase are we talking about, and if I give you my stats could you tell me what it "could" be capable of in theory.

      Thanks again, Chris.
      Removing the wires wont make any difference to the functionality of your sockets upstairs.

      Yes even if you are plugged into the master socket the ring wire can still cause problems even if it runs to an usused socket. It induce's noise in the whole system.

      Cant tell what sort of difference it will make, it depends entirely on your wiring ie route of cables length of them etc etc etc. Its best to just try it and see what happens. I can tell you in my case the improvement was dramatic! I went from 10 - 15 disconnections a day and continuous reductions in speed, to no disconnections in the last 5 months and constant speeds.
      Last edited by Koala5; 04-09-07 at 10:01 AM.

    8. #7
      JaXanim's Avatar
      JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Posts
      130
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Removing un-needed wires from Master Socket & WHY??

      Think of the extra wires as radio aerials which generate interferance and you'll see why they're best disconnected.
      JaX

    9. #8
      unity's Avatar
      unity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wigan
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Location
      Lancs
      Posts
      68
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Removing un-needed wires from Master Socket & WHY??

      Quote Originally Posted by JaXanim View Post
      Think of the extra wires as radio aerials which generate interferance and you'll see why they're best disconnected.
      JaX
      Because it is a digital line, the extra wires will act as an airial and pick up any signals in the house, inducing them onto your line. Just think of them as arials, haw many frequencies can a radio pick up!

     

     

    LinkBacks (?)


    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2020. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION