Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Strange speeds? Just as good on the ext as master

This is a discussion on Strange speeds? Just as good on the ext as master within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; After many years on broadband and only finding out about disconnecting the orange wire etc.I went about improving my connection ...

steve9999 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Strange speeds? Just as good on the ext as master

After many years on broadband and only finding out about disconnecting the orange wire etc.I went about improving my connection speed

Originally i was connecting at around 11,600 and then without fail my router would hang in the evening and i would have to reconnect at around 10,200.This was all via an extension socket in my small bedroom

So the other day i tried connecting straight to the test socket and my speed jumped to 13,200 to 13,400

I then sorted out all the wires in the master and extensions,so i was only left with 2 and 5
      So i retested the extension in the small bedroom and was now connecting at 12,600.Good result i wasn't expecting to get the 13,200 to 13,400 which i got via the test socket

But this is were it gets strange.I now tested the extension in my main bedroom.The extension is far,far older and longer than the one in the other bedroom.So of course i wasn't expecting a good result.However i am able to connect at the same speed as the master test socket!.How is this possible??And now my modem never hangs...

I have tried improving the speed again by buying a ADSL Nation wall socket.However it gave me the same speed as my 20 year socket and 50p filter!
      So not impressed,plus my bekin modem cable gets stuck in it(design flaw on the socket imho)
      The 3 quid one from svp gives me the same speeds and my cable doesn't get stuck in the socket!

I was going to buy the XTE faceplate but not sure now...Also would a shorter modem lead improve my connection.As i say i have a high speed bekin at the modem,but notice adsl nation sell a 0.50cm lead...
      My main idea was a sort moden lead direct to the master socket with a xte faceplate
      Last edited by steve9999; 29-08-07 at 07:22 PM.

2. Advertisement
      adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Strange speeds? Just as good on the ext as master

A filter can not improve a signal that is already degraded. The whole purpose of a filter is to stop the ADSL signal reaching the phone equipment that you have attached to it. If you don't have a phone connected at the point where you have the filter then a 20p RJ11 adaptor is going to do just as good a job as a 50 gold plated diamond studded filter as the filter has nothing to do.

Changing your filter for a better one will only make a difference if you are experiencing a reduction in performance with your existing filters. If your existing filters are doing an adequate job, then you can not expect to see any difference by changing them. If your drop in performance is caused by the extension wires then it is the extension wires you need to address not the filters.

At the moment you have pot holes in your road and are trying to solve the problem by fitting new tyers, you need to get the road fixed.
      adslnation

jewkesy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fazeley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Another thing to consider is the connectors on the extension cable. Trade secret is that the cable is 99% fine, however the way the cable is crimped into the connectors can be done simply and cheaply when mass produced. These are really the differences in cost when buying a cable.

On each part of the cable where there is a connector, hold the connector in one hand and pull firmly the cable with the other. The cable (hopefully) won't appear to budge, but it will be tightened within the connector.

Also check the visible pins on the connectors for dirt and dust and give it a blow to remove any residue. If it is black, try a bit of sandpaper to remove it if possible.

I do this every now and again when my connection speed seems to sit a little low after a reboot and it jumps straight back up.
      "Man who walk through airport door sideways is going to Bangkok..."

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Haven't we left out the obvious ? The cable itself ?

Many DIY installations have been done using the wrong cable - i.e. using stranded cable designed for burglar alarms. Phone cables should be solid copper, not stranded. You might be surprised to discover just how many extensions are wired with the wrong cable. It makes no difference phone wise, but makes a lot of difference to ADSL.