Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router connection problem

This is a discussion on Router connection problem within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there. I am a new sky broadband convert (previously NTL who were, in fairness, not bad) and have a ...

jkirk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Router connection problem

Hi there. I am a new sky broadband convert (previously NTL who were, in fairness, not bad) and have a question.

When I connect my router to the microfilter on the primary BT box broadband works perfectly. Now I have run a phone line extension from the main BT box (after the microfilter) to an office some 20m away and have connected another microfilter to the end in the office (had to do this in order to be able to connect the smaller plug on the router connection) and then connected my router - no broadband !!

So, is it possible to get a longer (20m) cable that will connect to the microfilter on the main BT box and the router (like the short grey one with the smaller plugs that comes with the router)? Will this length be a problem ? Is the second microfilter causing the problem ?

The extended phone line works perfectly so I can only think its the distance or the second microfilter

Anyone got any ideas on how I can fix this?

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Router connection problem

you could try with just one filter (at compter end) but this will prob affect you line noise (using an extension will do that)

richard

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

u can use a cat 5 cable [ethernet ]from your main bt socket [sounds like your extension lead may be too noisy for your router ,post your stats for router at amin socket and on extension [http://192.168.0.1/start.htm admin and password -sky [change ur password]

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
      Anyone got any ideas on how I can fix this?

Is the phone extension plugged into the phone socket on the 1st microfilter connected to the BT master?

If so... get rid of the 1st microfilter... you're filtering out the broadband side of things, so all the extension is carrying is the phone...

Although using a phone extension means you can have noise issues, & isn't ideal...

You could instead keep the 1st filter, & run one of these from it to the router (& not use the second filter) - ADSL Nation On-Line Shop

Also, a filtered faceplate would be better than a microfilter, & you could run a dedicated unfiltered BB extension from it - ADSL Nation - XTE-2005 - Filtered Master Faceplate

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many thanks all - I really appreciate the help - Im off to try out and will post an update

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Update - right, I removed the filter from the main box and just fitted one to the extension and now works perfectly.

Many thanks to Tezcatlipoca in particular and averyone else for the help offered