Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No BT Master Socket in my house

This is a discussion on No BT Master Socket in my house within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have been experiencing problems with the speed of my Mid package and i am currently in the process of ...

Johnboyjfm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No BT Master Socket in my house

I have been experiencing problems with the speed of my Mid package and i am currently in the process of trying to discover the source of my problems and one of the areas i was looking into was my wiring.

I have noticed that in my house i do not have a BT master socket. We moved into the house recently and i had not noticed this until now.

We have a wire coming from a pole in the street to my house which enters a junction box on the outside of the house at second floor level.

Inside the house, on the inside of that wall, in the bedroom is a standard phone socket.

There are also 3 leads that go from the outside junction box,around the side of the house to 3 other standard phone sockets for the dining room, living room and 2nd bedroom.

My question is (obviously the previous owner removed the BT master) if i buy a master off of ebay where should i install it? Does it have to be in the bedroom as this is right where the junction box is sited outside or would BT have run a wire to the dining room (the most obvious place for a phone in my house)?

Would i get a better connection if it is right where the junction box is?

I understand that BT's T&C say i should touch it but as i don't have one due to someone else's DIY, i don't want to have to pay 100+ to have it corrected.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: No BT Master Socket in my house

Extensions running externally sound decidely dodgy. Why not try talking to BT about the matter and asking if they'd like to come and upgrade the wiring to a correct installation? You never know, they might do it free - I got my old extension box removed and replaced with a shiny new NTE5 that way a while back.