Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

no removable faceplate on master socket

This is a discussion on no removable faceplate on master socket within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My master socket ( the one with the capacitor in ?) has no removable faceplate with a test socket underneath ...

freefall is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: hartburn
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

no removable faceplate on master socket

My master socket ( the one with the capacitor in ?) has no removable faceplate with a test socket underneath - just wires. It has wiring for 3 extension in it.

I would like to improve my connection as much as possible but how would I connect one of these faceplates with built in filtering that I keep hearing about and how would I connect up the 3 extensions ( without degrading adfsl performance)

Or would I have to get BT to change to a new master socket and how much would this cost.

The BT line comes in from the outside and goes into an old looking 4" by 1" x 2" junction box before going onto the master socket. Would removing this improve performance?

Freefall

2. Advertisement
      stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: no removable faceplate on master socket

In reality it should be BT who alter your wiring for you as it involves putting in a new master socket. Sometimes the old junction boxes can cause a problem, but not always. Often to make sure you get the best out of your connection it should be removed.

You can do the work yourself if you feel up to it. It is against BTs T&Cs, but if you do the job correctly you will save a lot of money and they will never know it was not done by one of their engineers. You can get the official BT NTE5 master sockets off ebay cheaply and get youself the required cable and a proper krone tool would be useful. I am guessing it would cost you around 25 including the proper krone tool. Then you would need the adslnation faceplate on top of that.

I dont know exactly how much it would cost BT to do it but it would be a lot more than that. I think they normally price it up by exactly what you want doing.

Take a look here for cabling info:

Guide to rewiring internal UK phone wiring

JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Reading around the subject, it looks like BT would charge well over 100 to replace your master socket with the current NTE5 type. Deciding to break BT's rules to do it yourself is probably the most difficult part of the job. A DIY solution is quite simple and well worth doing especially if you have 3 extensions, all of which add to the ADSL noise level. As suggested, you must get a genuine BT master from eBay. They are regularly for sale. This is simply to cover your backside if BT ever visit. Along with that you need the NTE-2005 or XTE-2005 faceplate.
      The main issue is whether you have enough slack on the BT down cable to allow you to wire in the new box. You'll need to release this cable from the old junction box and connect it straight into the new socket. Note which wires go to terminals 2 and 5 in the old master socket and ensure the corresponding wires in the down cable are used. Leave any other wires disconnected inside the new master. I did mine like this and gained at least 2meg on the sync speed.
      JaX

stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Even if there is not enough cable you could buy a new junction box or simply join the wires together using the small connectors BT engineers used (the small clear ones). Cant think exactly what they are called

jecn100 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I got a nte5 a master socket this is the new type socket from Internal Telecom .com | BT Master Sockets | Telephone Master Sockets | Extension Sockets | ADSL Filters | Telecom Tools plus the adsl filter. I also fitted it myself and found it a little tricky but i got there in the end.