Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Master socket help!!! (ring wire)

This is a discussion on Master socket help!!! (ring wire) within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So I picked up on the 2 wires going to A and B from the incoming line. I have the ...

LPB
      LPB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Westside (Crips side)
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Master socket help!!! (ring wire)

So I picked up on the 2 wires going to A and B from the incoming line. I have the modern NT5E socket but cannot locate this ring wire that is spoken about. There are no extensions wires hard wired, but there are extension wires that I use which attach outside of the master socket. I have found that a direct connection of my router leads to a speed gain, hence the need to remove the ring wire (or use a faceplate maybe?).

2. Advertisement
      Gaztops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Wanadoo/Orange
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Master socket help!!! (ring wire)

You can only remove the ring wire/bell circuit from a hard wired extension, not an extension lead which plugs into the front of a socket.

JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Master socket help!!! (ring wire)

Quote Originally Posted by LPB View Post
      I have found that a direct connection of my router leads to a speed gain, hence the need to remove the ring wire (or use a faceplate maybe?).
      If you wish to retain your phone extensions and maximise your ADSL speed the optimum way is to replace the faceplate with an NTE-2005 or XTE-2005 from ADSLNation. Your router will then plug into the dedicated ADSL socket and any phones plugged in will not intererfere with the speed. You can also forget about the third ring wire. See the sticky on 'Cabling and Faceplates Help' at the top of the first page. There's a full description of what to do in there.
      JaX