Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Phone Socket Wires + Better speed

This is a discussion on Phone Socket Wires + Better speed within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; No i just wish to plug my sky box into it, you see at the moment i have an adsl ...

ppolo99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Trafford
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Phone Socket Wires + Better speed

No i just wish to plug my sky box into it, you see at the moment i have an adsl filter connected to the main line and onto that the sky socket, and onto that the phone! so overall it looks like a mess is sticking out the wall, so i was planning on moving the sky box to the other socket and using the other for just the router and maybe phone.

p.s. main socket is connected but the bt man changed the faceplate, dont really wanna mess with that though :/ im sure in the main socket it had two wires though one for main, one for extension, would that be right?

2. Advertisement
      stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

At your main master socket the cable coming into the house will be hidden and connected underneath. Connected to the faceplate will be any extensions around your house.

Best thing to do is on the unconnected socket connect the blue wire to terminal 2 and the White/Blue wire to terminal 5. Then check if the socket works. If not you will have to remove the faceplate on the main socket gently and look what cables are connected to terminals 2 and 5. Also if anything is connected to terminal 3 remove it.

In removing the faceplate from the main socket you will not change anything as the only wires connected to the faceplate are the wires for extensions

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ahhh thanks very much! will try this on monday and get back to you! i dont risk electricuting myself or anything right? i dont have any special tools bar a screw driver. thatll be ok huh?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No there will be no risk involved. You should really have a plastic IDC terminal tool at least which only costs around 50p. Failing that you can use a very fine screwdriver (I mean very fine) or the thinnest knife you have. Do not force the wires into the extension socket using a big screwdriver or anything else large as it will damage the terminals

Oh any you do realise you do not need to strip the wire, just simply push it into the terminal and it will cut through to the metal core itself.

garrymum is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Morley
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stephens View Post
      I totally agree with 'JaXanim', if you want to have an internet connection near the extension socket there is a much better way to do it.
      Care to explain?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Right i tried connecting the 2 wires, was really difficult. One seemed to slip in ok, but the blue + white on was really hard, i stripped it and tried forcing it in also. Im pretty sure it was touching the metal as i put it back on and i tried the phone with microfilter attatched, all's i get on my phone is just my voice when i speak. Also i tried dialing my mobile and it didnt work.

so two things really,
      1) Whats the best way of getting the wires in (was using really thin screwdriver)
      2)what do i do now?

Thanks

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garrymum View Post
      Care to explain?
      As it seems he already had cat5 cable from the master socket to the extension socket he could leave the router at the master socket and use the cat5 cable as an ethernet cable to connect to the router. Connect the cable up at either end to cat5/6 wall sockets, and simply use ethernet cables to go from the router to wall socket and wall socket to PC.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ppolo99 View Post
      Right i tried connecting the 2 wires, was really difficult. One seemed to slip in ok, but the blue + white on was really hard, i stripped it and tried forcing it in also. Im pretty sure it was touching the metal as i put it back on and i tried the phone with microfilter attatched, all's i get on my phone is just my voice when i speak. Also i tried dialing my mobile and it didnt work.

so two things really,
      1) Whats the best way of getting the wires in (was using really thin screwdriver)
      2)what do i do now?

Thanks
      When pushing the cable in with a screwdriver it is best to push at either side of the metal cutting blades so you do not damage the connection. So push on the cable with the screwdriver as close as possible to the blade on one side then do the same on the other side of the blade. When the cable is in you can push in the center to double check.

The problem you have got is you do not know whether the cable is connected at the other end (master socket), or if it is a different pair of cables may have been used. You may well of connected the extension socket correctly, but if it is not connected at the other end or a different pair of cables was used you will get nothing.

Before even trying to connect the extension socket again, I suggest looking behind the master socket faceplate to see if it is connected. If not then connect it using the same colours you used in the extension socket. On the other hand if it is connected, but a different coloured pair was used just connect the same wires at the extension socket.

Hope that helps

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your help, managed to get the wires in now.
      Heres the master socket, bit wierd :/ its the one the bt guy put in.

inside the inside:

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Looking at the pictures it shows an extension is connected correctly. Is the only extension socket in your house the one you have attempted to connect up? If there were another socket in your house you may need to make sure the extension is connected there. Other than that everything is connected correctly so it should work if it is the only extension.

Also the orange wire connected to terminal 3 on the faceplate of the master socket does not need to be connected (may increase noise on your line)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast