Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Old style BT master socket

This is a discussion on Old style BT master socket within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, i'm currently a Virgin customer that is in the process of switching to Sky. Iam new to this ...

stevie5tapes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: brighouse
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Old style BT master socket

Hi all,
      i'm currently a Virgin customer that is in the process of switching to Sky. Iam new to this site and have a couple of questions if any one can help me?

I will be reconnecting to BT next week. I got cable installed when I moved here 4 years ago. (The previous owner had BT) I have a old style of master socket. Next to it is my cable master socket, this has a removeable faceplate which two extensions are wired to.

My first question is:

If I connect my BT master socket to my Virgin master socket (firstly removing the Virgin wires) Is this likely to cause any loss of sound / signal to my telephones?

Second question:
      I will be signing up to Sky BB mid range, I will want my router to be in my loft conversion. I have a extension lead up to the loft coming from a socket in my bedroom on the floor below. Would it be better for me to have a new socket installed in my loft wired directly to my master socket? If so can this be done using ADSL wire instead on normal phone wire, I.E change the front of my cable master socket so it has a ADSL filter built into it.

Sorry the questions are so long. Many thanks for any replies.

Cheers

Steve

2. Advertisement
      ricopico is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wolverton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: TL-WR1043ND (Open-WRT)
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Old style BT master socket

Hello,

Question 1:

I dont understand, If you intend to use the virgin socket instead of the Bt socket, this would require using the virgin socket as an extention of sorts?
      This probably wouldnt be a problem for voice signals, however is likely to cuase problems for the adsl line.

Question 2:

It would be recomended to put the router in the loft if possible, reason being is that wifi signals travel downwards, - and the house should get a good signal.

If you are going to run an extention cable upto the loft, - then its good to use computer network cable (cat5), - this is often sheilded and in double twisted pairs. This will be the best type of connection available, and will probably be cheaper than buying branded adsl verified cables.

If your going to use wifi connection, - It would be good just to leave the router next to the master socket, as this would be the best possible connection and hence the best possible speed, and stability.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Anyone with an old style BT master socket cannot legally replace it with the splittable NTE5 type. However, many people do and provided they don't foul up the phone system, they get away with it. The advised method of improving the ADSL side is to wire in an NTE5 type box from the BT one and replace its faceplate with the NTE-2005/XTE-2005 filtered type. I guess this is what you plan doing with the Virgin master socket. The plan should work if the Virgin box is a standard NTE5 type. Disconnect all the Virgin wiring into the box. Open the BT master and disconnect any phone wiring on connectors 2 and 5. If there's a ring wire on connector 3, just disconnect it. Now using a 50p Krone insertion tool and a suitable screwdriver, connect the Virgin box to the BT connectors as follows:
      BT2 to VirginB
      BT5 to VirginA
      That gives you a legal NTE5 type master box. All further wiring is from this box.
      I suggest you replace its faceplate with an ADSAL-Nation filtered one and wire in your ADSL supply line to connectors A and B on that using CAT5, 5E or 6 cabling. Only one twisted pair in the cable is used. At the router end of this cable, you'll need an RJ11 wall socket to take the modem connector lead. Your main phone can use the new master socket on the Virgin box. Extension phones can be wired to connectors 2 and 5 on the filtered faceplate and the ring wire on 3. This will give you the fastest ADSL sync speed your BT line is capable of handling.
      JaX
      Last edited by JaXanim; 25-07-07 at 02:42 PM.

stevie5tapes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: brighouse
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Hi, thanks for the replies. My
      BT line was reconnected today. I have disconnected the virgin line from the NTE5 cable master socket. I have run a small extension from the BT master socket (wires 2 and 5) and connected these to the A and B terminals in the Virgin master socket. My phone line workswith no problems and the phones ring etc.

I was thinking of getting a new face plate for the virgin socket and running a direct ADSL extension to my loft. I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers for the help

Steve

stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You can easily replace the old BT master socket with a new NTE5 one off ebay (official BT type) if required and then you would be able to connect a adslnation faceplate to the master socket if you wish. As long as you make a good job of it (which is not hard to do) BT will be none the wiser.

Then you can go about making a good quality cat5/6 unfiltered connection from the master to your loft. Just an extra option you may consider

naggis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01260
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry to be a bit thick. Could you please tell me what the NTE5 does better than the original old bt socket, other than let you add a ADSLA - Nation faceplate. Come to think of it, I am not sure what advantage this faceplate will give.
      Thanks in anticipation

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

There is no real advantage other than an extension will have its own dedicated connections rather than connecting an extension to the same connections as the the incoming line. More than one connection should not really be connected to an IDC terminal, it can be done without problems but it is not the way it should be done. Of course this does not mean it will give you a better connection it is just the way it should be.

Look at the link below for an explanation of the adsl nation faceplate

ADSL Nation - XTE-2005 - Filtered Master Faceplate

It will basically ensure you are getting the best possible out of your connection. It can lower the number of errors, increase sync. If you get a perfect connection without it there is no real need, I believe for the cost you can not really go wrong.

If you are planning on making a high quality extension to the loft I would definately get an adslnation faceplate.

Hope that helps

naggis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01260
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the post stevens. My line was capped by Sky yesterday and I am now using my master socket (old style). So far so good, the noise margin has stayed up at 15 - 18 and I have my fingers crossed. They tell me that capping the line has virtually eliminated the errors they were seeing. If there is the slightest doubt I will certainly fit an NTE5 and the Nation faceplate.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am sure you will probably have no problems now, when they cap lines though they always seem to go overboard. Probably so they dont have to deal with you again. What should be done really is cap it as they have and then gradually lower it then test for a few days for stability and carry on until you have the fastest stable line possible. Unfortunately Sky are very reluctant to do this, whereas other companies will do it no problem.