Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wire disconnected after test socket test

This is a discussion on Wire disconnected after test socket test within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I decided to try the test socket and unplug anything which could cause problems. In the end I found that ...

shiptoncraig is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haslington
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wire disconnected after test socket test

I decided to try the test socket and unplug anything which could cause problems. In the end I found that a phone line splitter device made the router disconnect when it rained. So I took this out. When I screwed the master socket back, the phone and router were totally disconnected. I opened it back up to find the red wire had been disconnected.

The image attached shows what it looks like. We have black, yellow and red cables. A family member put it where it is in the attached picture but still nothing.

Without it being connected, our master socket is useless. Any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Wire disconnected after test socket test

From the picture I'm not sure what type of socket that is - I'm guessing an old one! Similarly, the wire colours are normally blue/white, orange/white and white/blue, connected to terminals 2, 3 and 5 respectively.

I would say that your two main wires (red and black) should be connected to terminals 2 and 5 respectively, as they are in your picture. I'd also guess that your ring wire is the yellow wire and that is correctly in terminal 3 (although you could consider disconnecting that for improved performance - see the cabling and faceplate help forum).

The wires in yor socket look quite a mess. I can't see clearly enough but I assume they are in IDC connectors. These are designed to take the whole wire including the insulation as they have small blades which cut into and penetrate the wire i.e. you don't put bare wire in. You should use a proper tool for these called a krone tool (99p in Maplins) but if you are very careful then you can gently push the wire in with the end of a small flat head screwdriver. Be warned though that if you damage the connector you'll need a new faceplate.

HTH

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Its possible that the plug on the faceplate is not making contact properly when reinserted into the master socket, either by being fouled by the extension cables or the wire contacts in the socket have become displaced, have a look and if necessary give them a clean with a cotton bud.
      You should also check how your extension sockets are wired, you only need pins 2 and 5 connected but it must be 2 to 2(red) and 5 to 5(black).

Your extension wiring seems to be using multistrand cable normally it would be solid and coded as per Saturdays post, as the IDC connectors are designed to be used with this.

There are some pictures here:
      DSL ZoneUK - Improve your speed - Extension wiring and Disconnection help
      Last edited by penrhyn; 16-07-07 at 09:04 AM.

Gaztops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Wanadoo/Orange
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You should take the main part of the socket off and see if there are any wires connected to the "A" and "B" screw terminals.

If there are no wires on these two screw terminals try putting the Red wire on terminal "A" and the Black wire on terminal "B".

JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shiptoncraig View Post
      I decided to try the test socket and unplug anything which could cause problems. In the end I found that a phone line splitter device made the router disconnect when it rained. - - - - Any ideas?
      I suspect your ADSL speed with this setup is pretty poor. I guess the white plug on the right of the image is a dangly filter for your modem/router? Your wiring into this faceplate is clearly the reason for the lack of phone connections. As stated above, the faceplate connectors are not designed for multi-strand wiring and will give very poor results. If you are up to it, you should solder some single core leads (with similar colours) onto the ends of these wires so they can connect into the faceplate properly. Connecting directly to A and B inside the master box is against BT rules and if you foul up, could get you into trouble, so do it at your own risk. Put some insulating tape around the soldered joins and use a 50p Krone tool to insert the wires.
      The next best option is to replace the faceplate itself with an NTE-2005 or XTE-2005 filtered unit from ADSL Nation (details in the sticky at top of main page). Reconnect the three wires as stated above (2,3 and 5) into the filtered faceplate. Your RJ11 plug from the router will then insert into the new ADSL socket on the faceplate. Danglies not required.

JaX

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for replies.

This is the third time I've taken the faceplate from the box and I've never touched those coloured wires ever. We found what the issue was, it was dirt on the connectors and once we plugged it back in, it was all fine again. Even so, this false alarm has alerted me to the condition of the wiring.

If I removed the yellow from terminal 3 would it increase the speed of my broadband connection? Bearing in mind that nothing is connected to the extension upstairs and the router goes straight into the master socket.

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

You may get an improvement, there is no downside to removing pin 3 so give it a go, clip it out at the master and the extension end.

JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Or better still, disconnect all three if there's no phone anyway. The extension wires will produce interference just like the yellow ring wire.

Jax

bacardi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

From the picture it looks like your extensions are wired in alarm cable hence why you can see the strands,and the colours that they are. If you want to improve your line i would rewire it wit solid drawn copper cable.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If I got it rewired with the updated cable, could I get a filtered faceplate to be fitted.

Another question, the family want Sky+ and we need it to be plugged into the phone socket. Problem is, we have one socket which is taken up by the phone/router through a filter. A family member wants to plug a phone line splitter but I know they cause problems. Any way to have all 3?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast