Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Master socket and new faceplate

This is a discussion on Master socket and new faceplate within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Amongst other problems, I have identified a slow connection may be down to not connecting to the master socket. As ...

rywo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01925
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Master socket and new faceplate

Amongst other problems, I have identified a slow connection may be down to not connecting to the master socket. As it stands I have a socket (secondary) next to the computer. If I install the XTE-2005 faceplate will i need to run a cable to the other room where my computer is, or can i use the socket next to my computer.

2. Advertisement
      JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Master socket and new faceplate

The XTE-2005 faceplate won't fit extension sockets, only an NTE5 master. How you improve things depends on the extension wiring and whether you can replace it. One way to go is replace the old master faceplate and reconnect your computer extension to terminals A/B or into the ADSL socket using an RJ11 plug. This would mean the extension is a computer-only socket, you couldn't use a phone on it. If you want to retain it as a phone extension, you should fix a dedicated RJ11 socket near the PC/router and wire it across with CAT5 cable to the new faceplate where you'd connect to terminals A/B (or into ADSL socket using an RJ11 plug). That would give the fastest connection possible on your system. To do this you'll need some RJ11 plugs and a crimper, but it's the best way. My sync speed doubled when I fitted an NTE-2005 faceplate and rewired the modem.
      JaX
      Last edited by JaXanim; 13-07-07 at 09:41 PM.

rywo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01925
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As i have the sky box plugged into the socket near my computer also, the only solution is really, to crudely put it, use a long cable to connect the modem to the adsl socket on the faceplate via methods of the CAT5 cable and the connectors. Would this provide the same service as connecting to the test socket and also would this remove the requirement of the microfilters supplied with the router.

JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rywo View Post
      Would this provide the same service as connecting to the test socket and also would this remove the requirement of the microfilters supplied with the router.
      Yes it will.

JaX