Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Which cable type?

This is a discussion on Which cable type? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My router sits in my 'Office' at home (3rd bedroom, lol) and is connected via ethernet cables to my PC ...

Blackstar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Which cable type?

My router sits in my 'Office' at home (3rd bedroom, lol) and is connected via ethernet cables to my PC and my Xbox360. I have a stock 'phone extension' cable (RJ11) on a drum, like a mains power extension lead, that runs from my filter downstairs in the hall, up the stairs through some micro trunking, under the carpet and into my office.

My question is, is this the best cabling method in relation to noise on the line etc ?

Or should I have the router downstairs right by my BT faceplate and run ethernet cables to my PC and Xbox.
      Or should I just get wireless adaptors for my PC and Xbox and do away with the cables all together?
      Lastly, is there just better quality 'phone' cable I can use instead of the extension lead?

I get frequent disconnects in the evenings due to the line dropping below 6db, and was wondering if changing the cabling will help get rid of this.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Which cable type?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstar View Post

My question is, is this the best cabling method in relation to noise on the line etc ?

Thanks
      No !!! An RJ11 telephone extension is next to useless for broadband - get rid.
      RJ45's to your pc, xbox etc is ideal.
      Wireless is not ideal as the signal can be effected by other equipment.
      If you really want to run an extension then use cat5e cable.
      dave

JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Blackstar,
      dholdi is right about the telephone wire, but as you know the input socket to the router is RJ11. So what you need is a CAT5 cable from your main socket to the 'office' with RJ11 plugs fitted each end. Maybe someone with a crimper tool will fit them for you, or buy one from eBay for less than a tenner. You only need one of the twisted pairs in this cable to run your ADSL, but the RJ11 plugs usually take four wires (ie. use two pairs). If you're prepared to do this, you must really get an NTE-2005 or XTE-2005 faceplate for the master socket. This will eliminate the dangly filters and give you an RJ11 ADSL socket for the new cable. Compared with what you have now, I'd expect to see a considerable speed increase.
      JaX

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

An extension using cat5e to another phone socket outlet where you wish to site your router will work okay as well. Thats what I did and it saves getting a cable made up.

briggsy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

may i ask a question in this thread, IS Solid core Cat5e cable better than stranded core? Also is Foil shielded helpful for making an extension? (reduces noise?)
      Maplin > Cat 5e Network Cable FTP Solid

JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

briggsy,
      I think you'll find all CAT5, 5e and higher, is solid cored twisted pairs. You also need solid cores to use the punch down connection system in the master sockets, etc. Foil sheilding improves signal purity over say CAT5. Whether you actually need the higher spec depends on your anticipated sync speed. Of course you can be sure that the higher the spec cable the surer is the guarantee of performance. I think CAT5e will handle 100mbps no problem.

JaX