Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Faceplate help, my BT wires are different colours?!?!

This is a discussion on Faceplate help, my BT wires are different colours?!?! within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I recieved a XTE-2005 faceplate from adslnation.co.uk this morning and I just attemped to install it by following the ...

bremner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01204
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Faceplate help, my BT wires are different colours?!?!

Hi I recieved a XTE-2005 faceplate from adslnation.co.uk this morning and I just attemped to install it by following the supplied instructions but I have a problem

After taking my BT master socket face plate off I wrote down the numbers and colours of the wires currently connected...

5 = White with small blue stripes
      4 = Blank
      3 = Orange with small white stripes
      2 = Blue with small white stripes

Which I was going to mirror straight onto the "Phone" section of my XTE-2005 but then realised that the only other wires I have to connect to the "ADSL" section of my XTE-2005 are...

White with small green stripes
      Green with small white stripes
      White with small orange stripes

So I checked the instructions supplied with the face plate and it doesnt mention these wires? All it mentions to go in the "ADSL" section are...

B = Blue/White
      A = White/Blue

But these wires are already in use in the phone section and like I said above the 3 wires left (which where just wrapped up in the master socket not connected to anything, should these be connected somewhere??) are totally different colours.

I've had a quick look through some of the other posts on the site and I cant find anything relevant to my situation.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers bremner

2. Advertisement
      greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Faceplate help, my BT wires are different colours?!?!

You don't need to wire up both sides of the new faceplate, only the one you want any extension to run from. You'll only want to connect one side or the other so you either end up with a hard wired extension that works with voice and data or one that supports data only.
      Leave any bundled wires alone, they're still not needed.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks very much for the reply. so if i just wire up the adsl side of the xte-2005 it will be fine for my broadband, but will the phone side still work?

sorry if this sounds numb I've never really messed about with stuff like this before and the instructions you get with it are not very clear

cheers bremner

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

The faceplate just plugs into the back of the existing socket. The only connections you have to make are if you have any hardwired extensions.

The faceplate has filtered and unfiltered connectors which are there to connect extensions. The filtered connectors (for phone extensions) are numbered 2,3,4 & 5. Whatever wires were connected to those numbers on the old socket, just connect to the same numbers on the new.

The wires you have that are unconnected should stay that way as they are not in use.

If you happen to have two extension wires and want to dedicate one for the exclusive use of the router then this should be connected to the unfiltered connectors which are labelled A&B.

If you only have one extension wire (which may feed several extensions) and want to put a router on this as well as phones then you connect the wire to the unfiltered (A&B) connectors but will then have to put a microfilter on each phone. You will also have removed most if not all benefit of the new faceplate so that's obviously not a good choice.

The best solution is to plug the router into the ADSL socket on the front of the faceplate. Next best is to have a dedicated router extension hardwired into the faceplate.

HTH

JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      - - - - - The best solution is to plug the router into the ADSL socket on the front of the faceplate. Next best is to have a dedicated router extension hardwired into the faceplate.- - -
      That's what I did. My router is at the other side of the house from the master socket, so I hard wired from A and B on the faceplate to the router using CAT5 cable. That way you get the same result as using the ADSL socket on the faceplate. You can buy a small wall box containing an RJ11 socket to take the router feed plug. I put this socket within a few inches of the router and made a very short RJ11 to RJ11 feed cable to minimise noise. My line sync went up from around 3mbps to over 7mbps so well worth the effort.

JaX

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks very much for your posts lads.

Your talking about hardwiring my router to the master socket but I dont think I need to as my router is connected direct to my master socket and I recieve data from it using wireless.

Im still a little confused about fitting my XTE-2005 and want to be 100% sure so I dont knacker it up and be left with no internet thus cant come on here for help so can you guys take a look at the picture I've uploaded and tell me from the picture which wires go where and which wires are useless?

Basically all I want to do is plug my netgear router directly to the ADSL socket on the XTE-2005, I'm not really bothered about being able to use the phone because I only use my mobile for voice calls anyway.

Thank you very much for your patience with me, I'm sorry for mithering I just dont want to screw it up and be left up s**t creek without a paddle.

Cheers bremner

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

As I said before:
      The filtered connectors (for phone extensions) are numbered 2,3,4 & 5. Whatever wires were connected to those numbers on the old socket, just connect to the same numbers on the new.

The wires you have that are unconnected should stay that way as they are not in use.
      That picture you have uploaded shows an extension wired to the old faceplate. If you don't want an extension don't connect it to the new faceplate at all. Just fit the new faceplate to the master socket and the two sockets on the front (one for phone, one for ADSL/router) will work. Maybe you're not twigging that the BT wires (the phone line) are already wired into the back of the master socket? The faceplate just plugs into what is called the test socket (or engineers socket) which is already connected to the phone line.

PS If you do connect up the extension wires, use the proper tool (a krone tool) or you're likely to have problems.
      Last edited by Saturday; 10-06-07 at 04:20 PM.

JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just snip the wires going to 2,3 and 5 and dump the old faceplate. The six straggly wires are for your extensions as Saturday said. These should be just rolled up and pushed inside so they're out of the way of the XTE-2005 faceplate. That six-wire cable looks like CAT5, so you could if you wanted, hard wire one pair of these to another ADSL socket instead of the old phone extension socket. Each twisted pair has corresponding colours. Just a thought.

JaX

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

oh right sorry I understand now I dont need to wire up anything just plug it in I'm an idiot.

Thank you very much for all your help

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

once again thank you very much my down stream connection speed has nearly doubled from 8000 to 14339 kbps.

my new stats...

..................................Downstream...... Upstream

connnection Speed........14339 kbps.......764 kbps
      Line Attenuation...........35.5 db............19.0 db
      Noise Margin.................7.3 db.............12.5 db