Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

master socket

This is a discussion on master socket within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; just opened up my master socket and noticed that there is 3 loose wires that dont connect up to anything. ...

sneddy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: saint helens
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

master socket

just opened up my master socket and noticed that there is 3 loose wires that dont connect up to anything. are all the wires supposed to be connected upinside the socket
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails master socket-s4020740.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

Re: master socket

There is no need for all wires to be connected, in fact it looks like you have the ringer wire (no 3 i think) connected aswell - which is uneccessary (providing you have a filter attached to each device).

The only wires that you need connected are numbers 2 & 5 (blue with white and white with blue). Having any other wires connected can actually reduce your connection speed due to interference - think of each wire acting as an aerial to radio signals - less wires connected to your system = less interference!!

JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@sneddy
      jayhab's advice is correct, remove the orange wire. But there's a much more effective way to improve your ADSL connection and that's to replace the your faceplate with an NTE-2005 or an XTE-2005. This will allow you to dispense with the dangly filters and give you an interference-free direct connection for your modem. Lots of info is available on this forum. Check out the Wiring and Faceplate stickies, you'll be glad you did.

JaX

spike7451 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Donaghadee
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JaXanim View Post
      @sneddy
      jayhab's advice is correct, remove the orange wire. But there's a much more effective way to improve your ADSL connection and that's to replace the your faceplate with an NTE-2005 or an XTE-2005. This will allow you to dispense with the dangly filters and give you an interference-free direct connection for your modem. Lots of info is available on this forum. Check out the Wiring and Faceplate stickies, you'll be glad you did.

JaX
      WRONG! the orange wire provides voltage to allow extensions to ring by backwiring the ringer circuit.
      (ex-phone engineer)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spike7451 View Post
      WRONG! the orange wire provides voltage to allow extensions to ring by backwiring the ringer circuit.
      (ex-phone engineer)
      So, are you saying people shouldn't remove the orange wire?

JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jayhab View Post
      Following advice given on this and other forums I have, like many others, disconnected the orange (ring) wire in the extensions. In fact the ring wire in the master has never been connected as far as I can tell. The wiring looks exactly like yours. My phone still rings OK. It's a wireless one using a docking station, so whether that makes a difference I don't know. My extensions also ring OK provided I use a filter in the extension socket. Whether this is wrong or not, the system works normally and it obviously eliminates any interference from ring wires in the extensions.
      JaX
      Last edited by JaXanim; 05-07-07 at 11:40 PM.

Thanks

If it on the extension side of the faceplate you can do what you wish,however if you cause a fault on your line after the faceplate then you are responsible to repair it,not BT ect.The are different ways of wiring the ringer circuit,directly & back wiring & unless you know how your home is wired I would'nt.
      But if you interfear with the wires behind the NTE master,or even on a Mini Master,you risk your phone line being terminated by the lines owner as well as a fine.

Thanks

fair comment - you rolls the dice and you takes the chance, as Jaxanim says though, phones still work and interference all gone!

Besides, doesn't take a rocket scientist to reconnect the orange wire at a later date!

Thanks

fair comment - you rolls the dice and you takes the chance, as Jaxanim says though, phones still work and interference all gone!

Besides, doesn't take a rocket scientist to reconnect the orange wire at a later date!
      In fact,I once spent half a day trying to fathom out a blokes phone line! something like 12 sockets in the house,3 lines all dead,a mix of 77a's & old coffin boxes & a mix of old,veryold & newish wiring! sorted it in the end but needed a few beers after!

adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'll try and clear this up for you.

The telephone system is a 2 wire system, the same 2 wires carry the voice, ringer and ADSL signals. However back in the days of phones with dials and bells there was a problem that the pulses caused from dialing would make the bells on the other phones tinkle. So instead of each phone having its own capacitor to generate a ring signal there would be one master phone with a capacitor in it and all the other phones would get their ring signal from the third wire in the system from the capacitor in the first phone. This was all in the days before plug-in phones, all phones were hard wired to the line.

The GPO then introduced a plug-in phone system that used large jack plugs to make it possible to move a phone handset from one location to another. However the same telephone equipment was used so the third wire was needed.

Now BT under state ownership were shall we say behind many other countries when it came to technology. Many other countries including the USA moved to a 2 wire system with Tone dialing and electronic ringers that didn't have the tinkle problem. As a result US phones all had their own ring capacitor built-in and all telephone wiring was 2 wires only. But here in good old Britain we still had loads of dial phones and bell ringers even in the 80's when the new NTE-5 "Inphone" connecton system we have today was introduced so the 3 wire system was maintained. As a result many phones didn't have their own capacitor as they could rely on one already being in the master socket. Back in the day when telephone equipment required BABT approval leaving out the capacitor would of both made economic sense and met approval requirements.

Now today phones are mass produced in places like China where the same phone will be used world wide so virtually all phones will ring on a 2 wire system as it is in fact cheaper to produce the same phone on the production line than it is to remove the ring capacitor for the UK market.

The result is that almost all modern phones will ring on a line that has had the ring wire (3) removed. But older phones will not.
      adslnation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast