Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

master socket wiring

This is a discussion on master socket wiring within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi ive been reading about wiring the bt master socket and speeding up your adsl max lines, i have a ...

stevetigersix is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: maidenhead
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

master socket wiring

Hi ive been reading about wiring the bt master socket and speeding up your adsl max lines, i have a aold master socket which isnt the split bt type but a single plate in it it has 6 incoming wires should i be wiring just the white with blue band to 2 and the blue with white band to 5 or?
      Last edited by stevetigersix; 25-05-07 at 01:50 PM. Reason: wire correction & spelling

2. Advertisement
      JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: master socket wiring

What's on your blue/white, white/blue cables?? Connections 2 and 5 in the master socket are the lines carrying your phone and ADSL signal. The identities of the other four are given in the sticky post:
      'Everything you need to know about internal telco wiring but were afraid to ask'.
      Phones require a filter to prevent interference. Best solution is to fit a new filtered NTE5 type 'Master Socket' to the BT one and take your phone and ADSL wires from that. You only need wires 2 and 5 from BT socket connected to A and B in the new master socket backplate. Using NTE-2005 type faceplate for new socket, connect your phone lines to pins 2 and 5 and your ADSL cable to A and B on the faceplate. ADSL cabling should be twisted pair type if it runs any distance. Full details in the sticky post mentioned above.

JaX

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

having looked closely at the master socket and older j type with resister it got bits of wire still in it that go to nothing, im currently 'chatting' up a bt engineers who lives round the corner from me to rewire it with their adsl split box master socket, no need for a filter then !

at present the white with blue and the white with green both go to number 5 and the blue with white and the green with white both go to number 2.

would it be good to remove the white with green and the green with white altogether?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevetigersix View Post
      - - - - - - - -would it be good to remove the white with green and the green with white altogether?
      That depends on where the wires go. Presumably, one pair of wires come with the BT cable from outside and one pair go to your phone extension cable. Is that correct?

JaX

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i dont have any extensions in the house so i think removing the green ones should improve connectivity im also going to replace the face plate with this one ADSL Nation - XTF-68/85 - Pre-filtered Telephone Socket hopefully it should improve the noise on the line and the attenuation also gets rid of the dangly filter !

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK, the two wires coming in and connected to terminals 2 and 5 are your voice/ADSL wires. The other two (whatever the colour) are obsolete ring wires. They can be disconnected. With the new socket, connect the voice/ADSL wires to terminals 2 and 5 (or A & B if that's how they're labelled.)

JaX

Regord is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Swindon, Blunsdon
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Based on similar advice I disconnected all but 2 & 5 in my master socket (and extension socket) and lo & behold my indicated downstream connection speed jumped from around 2Mbps to 4 Mbps!

However, since then I have been seeing intermittent slowdowns in page loading and when I check my stats on the Netgear Router the Noise Margin has dropped to around 2.0 and I need to reboot the router which brings it up to around 6 again and the page loading goes back to normal.

Could this be a coincidence or connected with making the changes to the master socket? Previously all 6 wires were connected.

R

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As regards the other wires, two are redundant anyway and two are just part of the old ring system and not needed these days. Your speed improvement will have resulted from taking out the noise created by the ring wires in your internal phone wiring. The disconnection of the redundant and BT ring wires will not have significant effect 'cos these come to you as twisted pair cable (ie. interference free). You really need a filtered faceplate to get the maximum benefit. My sync connection went from around 3mbps to just under 8mbps after fitting the NTE-2005 kit. If you have any phone extensions, they will still create radio noise on your system even if they have the dangley filters. Line noise margins vary throughout the day, many due to influences on your external lines and beyond your control.

JaX
      Last edited by JaXanim; 01-06-07 at 05:16 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ive just ordered these
      ADSL Nation On-Line Shop
      ADSL Nation On-Line Shop
      so hopefully wiring these should 'boost' the signal to the best it could be !
      ill let you know the outcome
      current stats from Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test are

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Those will work fine, but realise that you shouldn't actually replace the old BT box with your own. The 'legal' way to fit your new socket is to place it alongside the BT one and connect from the 2 and 5 terminals to the A and B terminals in the rear of the new box. That basically gives you a cloned master socket, which with the filtered faceplate will give you all you can get from your BT telephone line. Connect the two boxes with twisted wires for maximum signal to noise ratio.
      Connect your modem to the ADSL socket and your phone to the, well the phone socket. If your modem is a long way away from the new socket, wire to that with CAT5 cabling, connecting it to the separate A and B connections at the back of the new faceplate. The other end of the CAT5 cable needs a wall box with an RJ11 socket. Modem goes into that.
      Good luck! JaX