Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

In need of cable advice please. ^^

This is a discussion on In need of cable advice please. ^^ within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, I am currently connected up with the hardware Sky provided and the router and computer are by the master ...

Heybunny is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ecclesfield (SLEF)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

In need of cable advice please. ^^

Hello,

I am currently connected up with the hardware Sky provided and the router and computer are by the master socket (we only have one socket next to the front window downstairs). This was just for testing to see if I could get Sky working however, so the PC needs to go back upstairs.

Now with my old ISP (USB modem was upstairs), the ethernet came straight up the front wall from the microfilter.

With the router downstairs, will I be ok to get a new ethernet (my old one doesn't work with this router, I noticed it has only 4 'pins' on it, whereas the one sky provided has 8. A rep at Sky told me I'd need an RJ45 cable) and just run it up the front wall of the house and through the wall into the room upstairs like I've always done?

What type of cable should I be looking for? I would hate to buy one and have that not be compatible either. I'm looking for something around 6-7 meters in length.

Also I need one that will work with an Xbox 360 also, of a similar length, any advice?

Thanks very much for reading.

2. Advertisement
      robert36 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: In need of cable advice please. ^^

RJ45 crossover cable works fine for me but are you sure you want to use a cable that long.
      You can get a wireless card for as little as 10

Heybunny is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ecclesfield (SLEF)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Well it worked ok for my AOL, and I've read about other people on this forum getting cables even longer than that.

I've heard that the wireless can be a little less unreliable and I play online games on both the PC and Xbox, so I need to make sure it'll stay on as long as possible.

That and the Xbox wireless adapter is around 50-60.

JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@Heybunny
      I was in similar situation, so decided to make my Sky Broadband as efficient as my telephone supply line will allow. The first thing to do is replace the BT master socket faceplate with one of the new pre-filtered type discussed at length on these forums. I fitted an NTE-2005 from ADSLNation for around 12. See the sticky thread on this topic for all the info you need.
      Next, I wired up a dedicated unfiltered ADSL link from the new faceplate to the PC room at the other side of the house. This link requires CAT5, CAT5e or CAT6 cabling. This contains four pairs of twisted wires (that's the crux to good speeds). You can buy rolls of CAT5/6 cabling from eBay or places like Screwfix Direct. That's all your Sky cables use too, even though the plug has many more 'pins'. One twisted pair connects to A and B on the faceplate. This makes a straight through, unfiltered connection from outside. You only use one twisted pair and it's OK up to 100 feet long. The CAT cable goes around the house, through the loft and down into the PC room. The end of this cable is connected to a socket containing one RJ11 female connection (eBay again).
      Your Sky modem connects to this RJ11 socket instead of the one on the dangley filter (which you no loger need 'cos the NTE-2005 faceplate filters all the phone sytem). You can connect any phone extensions you have to the faceplate as well using the connections described in the sticky postings. I shortened the RJ11-RJ11 connecting wire to about a foot to minimise noise. This requires special tool to crimp on the new RJ11 plug. Not essential, but I did say I wanted the best solution. The Sky supplied RJ45 patch cable then connects the router to your PC - or use wireless if you want, but it's slower than cable.
      My results were dramatic. Running on the original filtered phone line, I couldn't get the connection to sync much above 4mbps now it's over 7mbps. Download speed has doubled to almost 5mbps. Worth the effort.

JaX
      Last edited by JaXanim; 26-05-07 at 09:20 PM.